Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbide grinder won't run, need wiring help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbide grinder won't run, need wiring help.

I bought this carbide grinder at an auction, I plan on using it to sharpen HSS lathe tool bits. When I got back home and plugged it in for a test run it tripped the GFCI when I tried to turn it on. I turned it over and looked inside the base to check the wires, everything looked ok but there are two gray wires with spade connectors coming from the motor that are not connected to anything. The grinder came with a standard three prong house cord and all the wires and connections look like a factory setup. There is no wiring info or diagrams on the grinder. The reversing switch is marked 250v, 10A.
    If anyone has a similiar grinder can you look to see what the two wires should be connected to, there are no unused terminals. Maybe something is missing.
    The two wires that go thru the side of the base are for the lamp.
    Any help getting this grinder running would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Start Capacitor? The loose leads touching the base could easily trip the GFCI. If so, you are lucky that it did trip.
    Bill

Comment

From the paint scheme it looks like a Horror Fright. Go to the HF site and lookup the manual to see wha's missing.

Comment

I know I got lucky and didn't get any shock therapy, thank goodness for GFCI"s. I seperated the loose wires and made sure they didn't touch anything, but the GFCI still tripped. Any ideas on what size start capacitor I would need. Is there any way to test the motor with a multimeter to check if the internal wiring is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Chipster View Post
          I know I got lucky and didn't get any shock therapy, thank goodness for GFCI"s. I seperated the loose wires and made sure they didn't touch anything, but the GFCI still tripped. Any ideas on what size start capacitor I would need. Is there any way to test the motor with a multimeter to check if the internal wiring is ok.
          See my previous post.

For the windings just check to see if they are open (infinite resistance). If they are, just take it to the scrapper.

Comment

Thanks Dr. Stan, I went to the HF site but couldn't find any info on the grinder. I was hoping someone on this site with a similiar grinder could check and see what capacitor is needed. I will check the wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Chipster View Post
              Thanks Dr. Stan, I went to the HF site but couldn't find any info on the grinder. I was hoping someone on this site with a similiar grinder could check and see what capacitor is needed. I will check the wiring.
              I have the same import machine, I am travelling for
              work I can check on the caps when I get home. It will
              be the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Shade View Post
                I have the same import machine, I am travelling for
                work I can check on the caps when I get home. It will
                be the weekend.
                Thanks that will be a great help, I hope the motor wiring checks out ok.

Comment

search this forum, sizing a start cap has been discussed several times. look for posts by jaakko, i believe.
                  Last edited by dian; 06-12-2013, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Try here: http://images.harborfreight.com/manu...6999/46727.pdf

Part #48 on the list of parts (pg 13) is the capacitor, but it does not list the specs. You could try the 800# but I'd be very surprised if they can tell you the size of the cap.

Comment

Thanks for that link Stan, manuals always come in handy for finding parts.

Comment

No point in worrying too much about the capacitor if the problem of the ground leakage can't be sorted out.

Would suggest disconnecting the 4 outer terminals of the the switch and test again for tripping of the GFI. If you're very lucky the leakage might be in the switch body - worth a check anyway.

The lamp wires look a bit suspect - no grommet where they pass through the casting ? Does the insulation there seem o.k.?

(As a matter of interest, how often is a red/black/green mains cable used in the US ? I see the lamp is permanently connected to red, and switched to black - which would imply the red is neutral ??? )

Cheers

Comment

Here is a link to Grizzly's version of that grinder. I has the capacitor specs listed. But, as noted above, the wiring issue should be addressed before worrying about the starting capacitor. http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/h7762_m.pdf

David Merrill

Comment

It looks like some modifications were made to the wiring at the switch. (Note the yellow connectors.) I would check there for miswiring. Did you remove the bottom plate or was it missing when you bought the grinder? The capacitor was mounted on it according to the diagrams in David's link. It shows the cap to be 50mf/300vac. The better hardware stores should have it.

Comment

Looks like the spade connectors went to the capacitor. Missing cap and bottom plate seems to be logical from the diagrams.
                              Cheers,
                              Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X