• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr Stan
    • Mar 2024

A litte OT - Heathkit is back

Heathkit is back

If you say Heathkit who? You're to d__n young to ask.
  • MaxHeadRoom
    • Apr 2010

I believe Heathkit was taken over by Zenith and was Heathkit Zenith I also remember the Z100 PC which ran a version of DOS called ZDOS. This was advanced as far as the IBM PC at that time WRT memory, graphics and peripheral handling.
    Just as DRDOS was.
    The first Kit I built was in the 60's and was a H.K. HI-Fi amp and speakers.
    Another name I was surprised to see around is Meccano, first invented in 1901.
    Max.
    Last edited by MaxHeadRoom; 06-14-2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• big job
      • Jan 2010

Holy macral Doc, Heathkit, puts me back when I had good bones. Oh yea Farnstock clips thats where I got em.
      How about Lafayett think they were in Boston, they carried four prong AO1 tubes (with a point on top)!!!

Comment

• cidrontmg
        • Mar 2013

Hm. Good news - or not. "Q. Magazines also printed articles saying Heathkit went bankrupt last year, in 2012." "A. Yes. Bankruptcy is a financial problem where you lack money. It is not always the end of life of a business. Many businesses go through bankruptcy and emerge stronger. Heathkit® is such a success story." Maybe. I wish they succeed.

Comment

• rohart
          • Aug 2002

Another untested web page that fails. I filled in the first page of the survey, hit Next, and lost the lot. There's no Contact us, so I can't tell them their software doesn't work. They'll sit there thinking no one talks to them.

And on the survey there's a question about whether I've made any kits. They don't ask if I've assembled my own circuits.

I suppose they don't want to know about me and my kind, but they haven't taken much time to try to define their audience yet.
          Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

• flylo
            • Apr 2011

Heathkit was located near me in Benton Harbor, Mi. Are the going to be located there or is this a deal like Grizzly buying the rights to the name South Bend?

Comment

• Guido
              • Apr 2004

Didn't Bob Heath (Heathkit) make some first bucks designing and supplying hunks/pieces to build Heathkit Aircraft?

Hope the new Heath people put out better kits than they did in 1968. My color TV was great for about 90 days, then it damn near burned the house down.

--G

Comment

• flylo
                • Apr 2011

Heath made small plane kits in Chicago. Another company here was the Heald or Heald kit making Boonie bikes. Fat tired minibikes evan came a ski.

Comment

• armedandsafe
                  • Aug 2011

I just finished the survey. I noticed right off the bat that there is a click at the bottom saying "Resume." I suspect that might be available if you went back into the form.

Comment

• Evan
                    • May 2003

I never built kits. Going to high school I took three years of electronics with a fresh out of school teacher that was up on the latest things such as transistors. Even so, one of the projects I built was a five tube superhetrodyne radio from scratch including the chassis. Was good on the am band up through the lower short wave bands. I used to listen to Radio Free Europe and Radio Moscow to compare stories when the signals could get through the jammers.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• flylo
                      • Apr 2011

I have a Heathkit 100 I had rebuilt & 12v powercord made & the last one they had made by Yaseau. Good company!

Comment

• Evan
                        • May 2003

I have a Yaseau FRG 7700 and a Hallicrafter S-40A both in good working condition. I rebuilt the Hallicrafters, replaced all the paper caps and removed the 80 rectifier and replaced with silicon.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• andywander
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by rohart View Post
                          Another untested web page that fails. I filled in the first page of the survey, hit Next, and lost the lot. There's no Contact us, so I can't tell them their software doesn't work. They'll sit there thinking no one talks to them.

And on the survey there's a question about whether I've made any kits. They don't ask if I've assembled my own circuits.

I suppose they don't want to know about me and my kind, but they haven't taken much time to try to define their audience yet.
                          The whole thing worked for me.

And later on, they do ask if you have built electronics "not from a kit"

Comment

• dp
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by rohart View Post
                            Another untested web page that fails. I filled in the first page of the survey, hit Next, and lost the lot.
                            You have to allow cookies from heathkit.com for it to work. I don't, so it failed for me, too. However...

Last edited by dp; 06-14-2013, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• GEP
                              • Jan 2013

This what i know about heatkit.Up til 1972 i used to live right in front of the heatkit plant witch was located in St.Joseph,Mi on hilltop road.They made good kits i have some that still work, they are automotive instruments, i also still have a open real tape player made by them. Zenith bought heat kit because they wanted the computers heath made, Zenith had no iterest in the kits. After a few years Bull Co. based in france bought what zenith had and closed the plant. After that a small group of people used the heath name and where lacated in the old k-mart building on Riverview Dr. in Benton Harbor they made motin activated out door lights and wireless door bells with china components. Yes about 2 years or so ago that company defunked. The company was called heath not heathkit
                              There was a small group of people that still contenued the repair of the kits and keept the name going on a very small scale. I have no idea if they have the rights to the heatkit name or if they now somehow retrived it. As far as what the news paper posted years ago heath was owned by zenith.
                              There biggest problem was competing with, at that time, Japan then Tiwan and toward the end China that offred finished build products all build at a cheap price. I personaly from a consumer point of view if they start makeing kits again they will have a super hard time. Heatkits where not realy cheap but some kit builders like them.
                              Last edited by GEP; 06-14-2013, 10:26 PM. Reason: corrections

Comment

Working...
                              X