DRO Longevity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRO Longevity

I need to purchase a new DRO. Looks to be those Chinese DRO w/ glass scales. I do own 2 other types of DROs.
    My use is about 25 hrs per week.

Whats your experience on longevity w/ these readouts and scales ?

also, Ive noticed, the vendors show no prices for the replacement scales. DROStore doesnt even show prices.

Originally posted by kNucKlbustr View Post
    I need to purchase a new DRO. Looks to be those Chinese DRO w/ glass scales. I do own 2 other types of DROs.
    My use is about 25 hrs per week.

Whats your experience on longevity w/ these readouts and scales ?

also, Ive noticed, the vendors show no prices for the replacement scales. DROStore doesnt even show prices.

I bought my Chinese DRO from CDCO about two years ago. I've had no problems with it to date. CDCO also sells separate replacement scales.

Comment

I think Murphy lives in my lathe DRO. About 6 months age, I started having all kinds of readout problems with the DRO. It wouldn't finish its initial self checks and just lock-up. Cycling the power would "unfreeze" the unit. Other times the numbers wouldn't change when movements were made. Sometimes it would change the numbers when no movement had taken place. I figured the unit was on it last legs so I bought a new DRO controller box. From the day I brought the new unit into the shop, the old DRO has functioned flawlessly. I think it knows if it doesn't behave, the new unit stored next the lathe will take its place!
      Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

I have a 3 axis DRO & scales on its way from TPAC tools https://www.tpactools.com/3-Axis-DRO...DOUT-_p_8.html so I guess we're both going to find out if it has a reasonable lifespan.

BTW, they list the same 2 axis package on their web site for $365 plus $15.00 max shipping (mine was $10.00) in the continental US. I saved around $20/30 by buying though their web site instead of FleaBay.

Comment

This is the kit I bought, I bought from DRO PROS as they have a pretty good website. It was more expensive than others on the net and eBay but it arrived by Fedex undamaged and was packed well. As with all kits it is a kit, you will have to make several pieces and parts to mount the scales on your mill.
          I gave this kit a rating of excellent in my thread here . I had to make the mount for the X-axis reader head but that was about it, a few metric SHCS and taps to match were an extra $40 or so.
          Shipping was quick for them being clear across the country from me. If I remember correctly it took five days to get from Cali to Pa.
          Is the added cost of the unit worth it? I thought it was, I did call them with some question and got the answer I needed in plain English.
          JMHO. Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by kNucKlbustr View Post
            ...My use is about 25 hrs per week...
            With that level of usage it sounds like you're using the thing to make a living. You're probably best to buy a decent quality system that will stand up and not let you down at an inopportune moment. Newall, Accu-Rite and Mitutoyo come to mind...
            Keith

Comment

Yes its my livelihood. However, Money is tight.

#1 machine has a Shooting Star Tech w/ probs. Never owned a dro before this, seems 5yrs is not much for $635, SST.
              Thats about a $250 diff. from the glass chi.

Comment

I bougt the same one on Ebay for $385/delv, it was the 49". The 42" was $369/delivered. I had it in 2 days. He has a simple 5 year warrenty, if you break it you lose. If you don't he covers it for 5 years. The can be switched from a mill to a lathe, he stocks lots of sizes of scales. he's been selling them for a long time. I called 3 or 4 times with questions & he always had time for me & the answers I needed. I don't have it on yet but I bought that powerfeed for $200 when Enco had the 30%off sale & I've found horiz adapters for the mill for $550 complete & I'll be all set as the mill is basiclly new old stock 3HP vari speed Chevilier. I can't wait but again I have too

Originally posted by Dr Stan View Post
                I have a 3 axis DRO & scales on its way from TPAC tools https://www.tpactools.com/3-Axis-DRO...DOUT-_p_8.html so I guess we're both going to find out if it has a reasonable lifespan.

BTW, they list the same 2 axis package on their web site for $365 plus $15.00 max shipping (mine was $10.00) in the continental US. I saved around $20/30 by buying though their web site instead of FleaBay.
                Last edited by flylo; 06-15-2013, 03:42 PM.
                "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                country, in easy stages."
                ~ James Madison

Comment

My Newall C-80 DROs have been on 24/7 for 5 yrs. No failures therefore I can't help you with MTBF.

Comment

Shooting Star DRO 10 years and still going. On all the time
                    Spaulding DRO 31 years and still going. Off some times

Rich

Comment

I bought a used Mitutoyo glass scale DRO used back 2000. It was made in the early 80's. I have used it for 13 years with no problems. It could be 30 years old

I bought a used Sony LH30 magnascale DRO in 2002. It failed to boot up when I returned from vacation. Managed to find a used replacement for $200 I'm up and running again. A friend offered to attempt a fix on the old DRO. He gave it a good cleaning and thinks it is fixed. I'll find out when I get it back next week.

DRO's last a long time. Usually the scales get damaged so the entire unit gets replaced. Pretty much how I got mine.
                      Jim
                      Last edited by outback; 06-15-2013, 11:24 PM.
                      So much to learn, so little time

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                        Shooting Star DRO 10 years and still going. On all the time
                        Spaulding DRO 31 years and still going. Off some times
                        Rich
                        MY SST is 5yo. Maybe this is to be expected ?
                        It spent the first 3yrs in graphite dust. The plastic readout display cover is cracked at the buttons.
                        and has a repeatability issue. The encoder rubber seal grommet for the phone cable doesnt grip and the thin wires pull out.
                        The plastic wire loom cover for the rack rack doesnt do much of anything. The supplied phone cable was too short and I had to splice it.
                        Was lucky and purchased on sale for $500. Never seen a sale since then.

On a lathe w/a thin rubber sheet flapped over.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan View Post

Hi,

This has my attention for my little G0704 and maybe even something very much larger. A review and comment about installation and use would be greatly appreciated.

dalee
                          If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Dalee 100 come on over & install mine, I won't charge you & feed you well!
                            I have a cople DROs from the 80s still working fine.
                            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                            country, in easy stages."
                            ~ James Madison

Comment

Hi,

I'd take you up on it, but I'm afraid I wouldn't get back home in time for bed. I've mounted a couple DROs on mills over the years, but I can't justify Anilam at home. SWMBO would have much to say about it, far more than I would want to hear anyway.

dalee100
                              If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X