No announcement yet.

Waay ot big scare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damned spell checker and it's auto-correct! That's what I wrote, and the auto-correct changed it.....Oh well, that's what I get for typing after four shots of JD in the middle of the night.

It's true, Bob. Doctors can bury their mistakes... My mistakes used to haunt me for years, until I learned how to do it right the first time.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

OK went to the Dr. today no heart attack but he stated its GERD, I asked why did the spray of nitro stop the pain he said that the nitro goes straight down the gullet opening up the blood vessels on the way, relieving pain . That's why in the ambulance the pain went away instantly, he wants me to see a dietitian and lose 40#(down to 166#) I haven't weighed that since I was 30, he said that I'm border line diabetic, he put me on something and I go back in 3 months and see what changes have taken place. YEAH no heart trouble.
      Last edited by duckman; 06-28-2013, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Damn! Every doctor I've been to in the past 50 years, have ALWAYS said the same thing...."You need to lose about 40pounds.".."You're a border line diabetic."...and the ever popular. "Come back in 3 months"
        No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

YIKES GUYS!! I had to stop reading the replies. I felt like I was gonna have some medical issues

Hey Duck, glad it wasn't life threatening. I keep low dose aspirin around just for that purpose. Stay safe. JR

Comment

Yep. "Lose 40 (or 50) pounds." Heard that too.

Not so easy unless one is into starvation or the Bataan Death March.

I've worked around the same people over the last 15 years, and watched most of them gain weight as the years go on. Most start in earnest around 45. I've seen the women plump up when menopause starts, but the men seem to also. (myself included) Most of these are people who do factory assembly work, so they are active, but still... In my own case, encroaching arthritis slowed me down before I wanted to.

I see people at the gym and out jogging for hours and wonder if they are extending their lives, or if they are making their life seem longer by being bored. I will excersize to a certain degree, but the hour Death Marching is an hour taken away from the shop or some other enjoyable activity.

On diet, I have been able to keep from gaining (more) weight, but losing the extra is hard work. Hunger is a difficult foe. Also, the brain operates primarily on glucose - sugar. Starvation, when one has to think for a living, adds a an additional burden. Kind of reminds me of the stereotypical overweight programmer geek genius who marathons through coding sessions on a diet of Big Gulps. Pure brain fuel and caffein to make the brain work just a little faster. I was in this mode for a while, (edit: except for the genius part) programming PLC's, and gained a lot of weight. Swore off the sugar drinks, but the weight has been hard to lose.

Let this be a lesson.
            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I know that diet is a can of worms second only to politics (maybe?) but FWIW, I've had great results over the past couple years with the Paleo Diet. It's a reduced-carb plan, but it is less restrictive of fruit, more restrictive of dairy, and prescribes lean cuts of meat over fatty ones, so it's not the bacon-cheeseburger-without-a-bun diet that people joke about Atkins being. When I held to it super strictly 7 days a week I dropped about 2lbs/week for a total of ~35 over a few months. In the two years since I've kept about 30 of them off allowing for a cheat day or two per week. YMMV as they say.

The key is that there is something of a triangle of what you eat, how much of it you eat, and how physically active you are, that adds up to your body composition. If I eat simple carbs (white rice, flour, sugar) I can eat for hours. Fat, protein, fiber, etc. all actually fill me up for a while. I do get a good deal of exercise as I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and live in a city where I walk far more than I drive, but if I only did that and didn't watch diet I'd gain weight. I also developed low thyroid function about 6 years ago which doesn't make it any easier. Another thing to consider is the type of exercise you do. If you want to lose weight, build muscle if you can, because it increases your base metabolism. I do resistance training twice a week and cardio (boxing, just bags, no sparring lol) once or twice, and I get better results than if I did just cardio and I enjoy it and the results a lot more. If you have musculo-skeletal issues, consider getting a trainer even if just for a few sessions to help you figure out what the right things are for you and how to do things that will help rather than hurt. Muscle strength, balance, and range of motion are important and improving them will help you to prevent falls and cumulative stress injuries. Trainers aren't cheap but they cost a lot less than doctors. I won't say I enjoy it but I like the results and it's like taxes, you can pay now or pay later, but one way or another they'll get it out of you.

Comment

i have not read all the replies, but to the OP - good call.

health stuff can be PDS sometimes.

sucks to get older, but better than the alternative.

Comment

Ever wonder why doctors call it practicing medicine?

Comment

Working...
                  X