A little OT- uses for golf club shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little OT- uses for golf club shafts

Besides my power conditioner, I also picked up a few golf clubs at the thrift store. Dollar apiece. Many have graphite shafts, but most are steel. I brought home the graphite ones. Since I don't glof, I cut the heads off and tossed them. One of the shafts is going to have a strong magnet attached to the end and go to work with me. It will be useful to retrieve the nuts that accidentally drop into the sawdust inside the table saws.

Another pair might become a bow- I'm thinking to make a handle with a pair of pivoting ends on it, connected by a spring. Each end will have a shaft attached to it. Suitable ends would be placed on each shaft to hold a bowstring. You'd be able to fold it into a fairly compact package, probably fitting inside the quiver with the arrows.

That's my two uses for these shafts so far. What other uses can y'all think up?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

When I first moved to Oregon and live next to the beach, a friend paid a visit and presented me with a golf club handle with a old ice cream scoop on the end. It was intended to use as walking stick for the beach with a scoop to pick up rocks and shells from the beach. It worked so well, I had several others ask me to make them one. I have since found that old ski pole useful for the same thing

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

Comment

I have also collected old ski poles. Some have become tripod legs. I've used others simply for the aluminum tubing where the size was right. I like the rock pickup idea- good especially for us aging folks-
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Read the labels on those aluminum ski poles.
        A lot of them are 7075.
        Nice alloy!
        Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

A guy I used to arch (is that the correct term for shooting bows?) with made a nice looking stabiliser from one.

Dave
          Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

turned a brass tip and glued it to a club shaft, made a nice walking cane and, if necessary, a great head knocker. It's a bit slippery on a wet surface though, use my rubber tipped one when it's raining.
            olcop

Comment

Since I golf with my buddies in a friendly game where less than a club length to the hole is a "gimme", I used two clubs to make an extending putter. Unfortunately it's validity was questioned for use, so it was only good for one good laugh.

Comment

The last I heard long putters were going to be a point of contention in a wider sphere than your friends, Gary. The Royal and Ancient at St Andrews plans to ban putters you hold to your chest, and some Stateside clubs were going to object.

I still play with my late father irons, which are steel shafts with some kind of coating designed to make them look like hickory.

Darryl, couldn't you make a pair of those walking sticks, the ones that look like ski poles ? Even if you don't feel decrepit enough to use them yourself, they'd be a good gift for an elderly relation. Put on a tip, a bit of wrapping for a handle and a loop of something so they don't get dropped.
                Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Tomato stakes.

Comment

Walking stick- that's a good idea. They wouldn't telescope, but that could be a benefit for some.

I like the stabilizer idea- carbon fibre would be good for that as the stiffness would enhance the action. These shafts are tapered, and I think there's an anti-resonance factor in that as well.

I'm reminded that a walking stick can double as a monopod for a camera. I'll have to think of a way that the threaded end can be protected- possibly as part of the anti-dropping loop. I think that's a pretty good idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X