Junk or sell this old power hacksaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junk or sell this old power hacksaw?

I PAID $80 FOR THIS SAW ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO. It has a good 110v 3/4HP motor I could put to other uses
    It doesn't cut straight worth a darn. The two top guide rails are worn and although the play can be taken up by the adjustment on the slides, that only causes the slides to jam at the end of their travel making the entire pivoting assembly kick violently upwards (scary!). I have on occasion been able to shim the blade clamps to get it to cut approximately straight. It isn't in any way a collectable as the saw frame has been broken and brazed back together and it has been converted from belt to electric motor.

If I scrap it I get a 3/4hp motor, some shafts, square bar, cast iron pieces, and a cast iron table with quick action vise. (I would rehab the vise).

What would forum members do?
    "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Sounds like the slides need to be re-ground. I have a difficult time just scrapping old iron like that.
    Throw it on craigslist for $100 obo and see what happens. Maybe someone else will repair it and use it.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Keep the motor,they cost money new these days.Either put the rest on CL or just paint it up and use it for a mailbox post or lawn ornament.

I would however like an explanation if you can provide one for all that business up top with the crank and threaded rod and that cast piece in the middle.Never seen one like that before,some kind of stroke adjustment,blade tensioner or what???
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
        ... I would however like an explanation if you can provide one for all that business up top with the crank and threaded rod and that cast piece in the middle.
        I believe that crank is for the adjustment of the weight - the more the weight is moved forward, the deeper the cutting depth will be.

Last edited by Mike Burdick; 06-25-2013, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
          I would however like an explanation if you can provide one for all that business up top with the crank and threaded rod and that cast piece in the middle.Never seen one like that before,some kind of stroke adjustment,blade tensioner or what???
          You crank that big round cast iron weight along the top shaft to adjust the pressure on the blade.

(Federal regulations limit mail boxes to 1.5" diameter pipe or 4x4 wood posts for safety in the right of way)

Comment

Just don't junk it. Sell or give it away (WO motor) to some nut like myself or flylo with a severe case of OIS (old iron syndrome).

Comment

If that was mine I would get it out of my life as soon as possible
              "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

I have one so Dr Stan enjoy it!

Comment

Heck, I would love to have something as ugly and overly complicated as that! Someone would be able to fix the worn slide if I could not.

Comment

jep,

PM sent

Stan

Comment

Dr Stan Go get it, Good for you!

Comment

if i was closer I would come pick it up,,, i just like watching that old stuff run,,, heck i put stock in my old shaper just to hear it run and bet guys
                        a beer on how nice i can get the finish,,,

Comment

Any name on that hacksaw, never saw one like that??

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Burdick View Post
                            I believe that crank is for the adjustment of the weight - the more the weight is moved forward, the deeper the cutting depth will be.

Ahhhhh....geez,somebody went nuts at the drafting table way back
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                              Any name on that hacksaw, never saw one like that??
                              There is a Brass plaque from E. L. Klauber Machinery Co. on South Third Street in St. Louis but they may have just been the local dealer.

Comment

Working...
                              X