Heats of expansion for granite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heats of expansion for granite

Gonna get expansion joints of Sir John's London Bridge tested come saturday afternoon. 127 F in the forecast.

--G

Are you looking for the coefficient of thermal expansion for granite? That's readily available in many tables. Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Fisher View Post
      Are you looking for the coefficient of thermal expansion for granite? That's readily available in many tables. Bob.
      I think he's just bragging about the environment at Lake Havasu City. :-)
      ...lew...

Comment

Stone structures, read granite, have been around for thousands of years, so where is the problem? Now steel, is another story. I grew up in Michigan's Upper Peninsula where a swing bridge connected the towns of Houghten and Hancock. On a hot day, rare in the UP, when the bridge was opened to allow the passage of the smallest boat it would not close. They would call out the local FD to spray it to cool it down to close. The bridge has since been replaced with a lift bridge, but remains the only connection to the tip of the peninsula. Bob.

Comment

Speaking of granite bridges, here is an interesting one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailey_Island_Bridge
          Supposedly the only bridge like it in the world. I think there used to be another in Scotland, but that one apparently no longer exists.
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I've snownobiled, motorcycled & drove over that bridge many times. Why isn't everything north not considered an island?

Originally posted by Bob Fisher View Post
            Stone structures, read granite, have been around for thousands of years, so where is the problem? Now steel, is another story. I grew up in Michigan's Upper Peninsula where a swing bridge connected the towns of Houghten and Hancock. On a hot day, rare in the UP, when the bridge was opened to allow the passage of the smallest boat it would not close. They would call out the local FD to spray it to cool it down to close. The bridge has since been replaced with a lift bridge, but remains the only connection to the tip of the peninsula. Bob.
            Last edited by flylo; 06-28-2013, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X