Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flylo
    replied
    I've snownobiled, motorcycled & drove over that bridge many times. Why isn't everything north not considered an island?

Originally posted by Bob Fisher View Post
    Stone structures, read granite, have been around for thousands of years, so where is the problem? Now steel, is another story. I grew up in Michigan's Upper Peninsula where a swing bridge connected the towns of Houghten and Hancock. On a hot day, rare in the UP, when the bridge was opened to allow the passage of the smallest boat it would not close. They would call out the local FD to spray it to cool it down to close. The bridge has since been replaced with a lift bridge, but remains the only connection to the tip of the peninsula. Bob.
    Last edited by flylo; 06-28-2013, 07:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SGW
    replied
    Speaking of granite bridges, here is an interesting one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailey_Island_Bridge
    Supposedly the only bridge like it in the world. I think there used to be another in Scotland, but that one apparently no longer exists.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Fisher
    replied
    Stone structures, read granite, have been around for thousands of years, so where is the problem? Now steel, is another story. I grew up in Michigan's Upper Peninsula where a swing bridge connected the towns of Houghten and Hancock. On a hot day, rare in the UP, when the bridge was opened to allow the passage of the smallest boat it would not close. They would call out the local FD to spray it to cool it down to close. The bridge has since been replaced with a lift bridge, but remains the only connection to the tip of the peninsula. Bob.

Leave a comment:

• Lew Hartswick
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Fisher View Post
    Are you looking for the coefficient of thermal expansion for granite? That's readily available in many tables. Bob.
    I think he's just bragging about the environment at Lake Havasu City. :-)
    ...lew...

Leave a comment:

• Bob Fisher
    replied
    Are you looking for the coefficient of thermal expansion for granite? That's readily available in many tables. Bob.

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    started a topic Heats of expansion for granite

Heats of expansion for granite

Gonna get expansion joints of Sir John's London Bridge tested come saturday afternoon. 127 F in the forecast.

--G
Working...
X