Cutting Aluminum Columns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lbhsbz View Post
    He forgot to convert inches to feet on the thickness.
    Yup

Sorry about that
    :-(

Frank

Comment

You can cut it with any wood cutting tool. What ever will work best for a piece of high density wood will work on the aluminum. Lubricate the aluminum with wax along the cut line and follow all the other safety instructions.

I should point out that also includes a router with a guide.
      Last edited by Evan; 06-28-2013, 09:45 PM.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

+1 on the wax lube
        Michael

Comment

Just out of interest....has anyone tried a Dual Saw? (Contra-rotating blades).

I am guessing their TV advertising has saturated other parts of the world too.....

I have no desire (or need) to get one, but the "no kick-back" does seem like a good safety idea.

http://www.dualsaw.co.nz/

Comment

The demonstration video shows horrendous chipping on the underside of wood. This alone makes me extremely doubtful of its usefulness.
            12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
            Index "Super 55" mill
            18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
            7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
            24" State disc sander

Comment

I replaced three front stoop posts with exactly the same aluminum posts as you described (U shaped, snap-together) a couple of years ago. They were not that expensive and very easy to assemble and install. I can't see how you could come out ahead in time and material expense by making them yourself. Also, I think it would be hard to get as durable a paint job as that which comes with the purchased ones. If you are doing it for the fun of it then more power to ya but I took the wimp path and just bought em.

Comment

Got the job done. Used a 7-1/4 inch 40-tooth blade with my portable circular saw (usually a 10 inch blade but did not have a high tooth count blade for it). Set up a ball-bearing outfeed table to add support. Worked great!

Thanks for all the ideas & support.

Comment

Working...
                X