Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikem
    replied
    You could use a router to trim it with a carbide bit and cut along a straight edge--just make sure that the straight edge limits the depth that the router can cut in case it starts climbing away from you!

Leave a comment:

• Duffy
    replied
    I guess that I am the only partial dissenter. DEFINITELY use the table saw. Chip protection is a must; the little devils are light but may be hot! Blade choice does not matter a bit, as long as it is sharp. High tooth count, low tooth count, carbide, or plain steel; they have ALL worked for me just fine. I have cut thin flashing, downspout, cast section, plate and strip, thickness up to 2 1/2 inches, with no problems. A bit of common sense DOES help. Oh yes, and ear protection IS a must!
    By the way, a chop saw is handier than a pocket in a shirt for cutting aluminum stock-much faster and more accurate than a band saw. BUT adjust your feed rate to the cross-section of your material. A 12 inch, 40 tooth carbide blade DOES NOT WIN when fed too fast to a 1/2 inch diameter rod! (Dont ask how I know.)

Leave a comment:

• john hobdeclipe
    replied
    Yeah, table saw.

See if you can find a nonferrous metal cutting blade that has zero to slight negative hook.

And be sure to have some kind of solid support for the outfeed end.

Leave a comment:

• Weston Bye
    replied
    +3 on the table saw. Be prepared: It seems terrifying when you do it.

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    And earmnuffs - it's very loud. The table saw is the best way to go. You want either a high count tooth blade or a lower count that only lets each tooth cut a small depth of cut. Move the material through at a speed that lets the blade cut well, without crowding it.

Leave a comment:

• Cuttings
    replied
    I cut aluminum with a carbide tipped blade on the table saw quite a bit. It cuts well at speed. You just have to make sure you cover up well - face shield, gloves etc. there will be a lot of aluminum chips flying around.

Leave a comment:

• Dunc
    started a topic Cutting Aluminum Columns

Cutting Aluminum Columns

I purchased several of these (http://www.imperialgroup.ca/railingcolumnsfencing.cfm) to do a front porch makeover. They will be used decoratively, not structurally. Each square column is fabricated from two "U"shaped pieces of aluminum that are 9 feet long and about 1/8 inch thick; these pieces snap together using a tongue & groove joint. Two of my existing columns abut the brick; hence, I only require one "U"section to cover them.

My problem: the tongue side of the half-column is longer than the groove side. I need to trim (a rip cut) the tongue from the material so that the column will be oriented correctly. I have an assortment of saws & blades that are capable of doing the job (hand-held jigsaw, reciprocating saw) but I expect that the cut would be too wavy - even on one of my best days. Could this material be cut using a 10 inch woodworking table saw with a carbide tipped blade? It would have to be at full speed (~5300 rpm) since I have no way to slow it down to imitate a cold-cut saw. Number of teeth? If a high tooth number is required (40-60) I could purchase a blade for a portable saw (7-1/4 inch diameter).

Any/all ideas appreciated. Thanks!
Working...
X