Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I have?

Good day gentlemen!

I purchased one lot - machinist tools and this was in the bottom of the box. What do I have?

There is a scale on the hammer head end 0 - 110. Under the two 'lumps' are 002 and 004. Not sure what this is supposed to indicate. Any info would be appreciated.

My guess is that it's used to measure and/or set an angle/taper on a specific piece of equipment. It just does not look like a general purpose measuring tool.

Comment

Looks like a steelyard weighing thingy to me, nice
      Mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
        Looks like a steelyard weighing thingy to me, nice
        Mark
        I see that possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan View Post
          I see that possibility.
          Except there are no provisions for counter weights opposite the hinge. The old cotton sack scales had a hook on one end about 2 inches from the pivot. The weight went on the long end with a direct reading scale. If you hang a weight on this thing, it'll point to the sun every time!

I was thinking it was a taper attachment or indicator. Has the initials PAH hand stamped on it over the twin slots.

If you line up the top of the bumps on the right and the top of the hammer head, the indicator points to 100.

Comment

From the looks of it, it's an itteration of a Last Word indicator. The only possible confusing thing is the three contact points just above and to the right of the hinge. I see it as mounted to a toolpost or mounting bracket using the slotted tab at the bottom and then one of the three contact points is brought into contact with the workpiece. As the workpiece is moved, the needle will change position on the scale on the left side to indicate difference or runout.

Comment

I have something very similar.
              There are two of them. one mounted on each end of a bar or plate about five or six feet long. I think it telescopes (have to look,its been a long time since I have seen it)
              There is some more hardware that goes with it.
              It was used for adjusting toe-in on cars. Old cars...a long time ago.

Comment

I agree with Jpfalt that it is a part of some special purpose device intended to measure runout or some other very small movement. The old Harley Davidson flywheel truing jig uses the same principle on a smaller scale. I don't think it had/has any general purpose use.
                Don Young

Comment

Working...
                X