Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outback
    replied
    Make a new nut. I needed a metal nut for a broom handle to screw into, long story. 3/4-5 Acme. I was easy, just take light cuts.
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• Don Young
    replied
    It is sometimes possible to remove slight burs and damage like this by hand using some sort of scraper or file. A small stone or cutter in a Dremel tool also works sometimes. Bluing or coating with a black Magic Marker can help you see what needs to be removed to stop the binding.

Leave a comment:

• tyrone shewlaces
    replied
    Well I guess you'll never do that ONE particular thing the same exact way again.
    But if you're like me, the "good" news is there is a list a couple-thousand items long for new things to slap your forehead about afterwards.
    I have a lifetime's supply

Leave a comment:

• spongerich
    replied
    Originally posted by 1200rpm View Post
    worst case, if i`m not mistaken the acme postion(nut) is held in the tailstock quill with a pin and is replaceable.

i`m pretty sure you can buy them on ebay.

edit- here you go!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SOUTHBEN...3#ht_318wt_917
    That's excellent, since I discovered that my "spare" spindle I have from an old 9" is NOT the same as the one in my 10K.

I was able to grind an acceptably close acme thread boring bar and catch the thread. I very carefully took off a couple thou until it was good enough to at least get me up and running.

I may go ahead and order a replacement anyway.

I may also be a little more careful next time.

Leave a comment:

• 1200rpm
    replied
    worst case, if i`m not mistaken the acme postion(nut) is held in the tailstock quill with a pin and is replaceable.

i`m pretty sure you can buy them on ebay.

edit- here you go!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SOUTHBEN...3#ht_318wt_917
    Last edited by 1200rpm; 06-28-2013, 03:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Toolguy
    replied
    If it's just the end, you can put it in the chuck and set a turning tool on a 45 degree angle and chamfer the start of the thread. That will probably clean up any damage and not have any effect on the rest of the thread.

Leave a comment:

• How stupid can I be? This stupid. #$%)*ed up the thread on my tailstock spindle

I did something incredibly stupid this morning. The spindle in my tailstock was completely jammed, so in a moment of frustration I decided to remove the handwheel and tap the spindle out so I could see what was wrong with it. In the process I managed to bang up the end of the thread on the end of the spindle.

I have a spare but it's not nearly as nice as the one on my 10K (well, it is now I suppose)

Any ideas on the best way to fix the thread? Acme taps looks like they're about $90... OUCH!

I thought about putting the spindle in my chuck and grinding an acme cutting tool, catching the thread about 3/4" inside and SLOWLY cutting out towards the end.

Oh, and the reason it appeared to be jammed was because lower barrel on the spindle lock was stuck fast in the bore. It looked like there was a little burr (maybe a piece of swarf jammmed in there?). I lightly deburred, cleaned, polished it and it seems fine now.
Working...
X