No announcement yet.

DIY slip roller, tubes or solid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I found my stand! Pics to come.
    Andy

Comment

• Is this a bad idea?

Using existing holes in the shear bed. Once I get all the rollers together I can line everything up and weld the upper and lower square tubes together.

Andy

Comment

• Why not?It's there,use it.Besides you can later add a press brake attachment and have a 3-1 sheetmetal machine on steroids
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Looks like a great spot for it. Don't even have to remove it to use the shear unless you need full width. I have my 24" finger brake mounted on top of my 36"shear. Would love to add rolls to it like yours, and have a "real" 3in1 sheet metal station.

Comment

• Is that a working shear ? I have same one 30 inch.. Brown Boggs I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by 754 View Post
              Is that a working shear ? I have same one 30 inch.. Brown Boggs I think.
              Working shear as in "does it work" or a style of shear?

Yes it works if that is what you are asking. I got it for scrap price because of a broken head which you can kind of see in the pics where I welded it back together. I don't use it often but there is nothing like it when I do need it and use it. It is a 30" as well.

As for the roller set up on it, I used two sections of box tube to raise the roller so the shear is still usable with the roller on top. I could lower the roller to just one box tube section and still use the shear but visibility and work are under the roller would be tight. If I have problems I can easily just go down to one box section later on.
              Andy

Comment

• It really looks as if you need to arrange some gearing/belts/chains to make it into a set of treadle powered slip rolls.
                Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

• I would not do it if the shear works. Need my face over it to line up my cut line.

Here is what worked for me, I got a set of rolls about 22 inch, mounted on a 2x10 board.. pull it out and clamp to bench and use it. Might I suggest a 2 x 12 metal tubing base.. could that work.. clamp to a bench to use..

Comment

• Originally posted by vpt View Post
                    Is this a bad idea?
                    g]
                    yes imo, like 754, I need to be able to look straight down the blade to line up a layout line. My shear is stacked with stuff because I use it infrequently, but its stuff that is light enough to easily move when I need the shear.

great project btw.....I'm enjoying watching the build
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

• I didn't get much time but I did get a bit done today. Picked up a couple sprockets and hubs and turned the ends of the two driven shafts down to fit said hubs. I need to drill both driven shafts for grease zerks yet. Then I'll reassemble the whole bit, weld the mounts, and give a test maybe (hand powered).

Using all of the atlas again for these rollers. Had to unbolt and let the leadscrew out to have enough carriage travel. Also had to back out the compound all the way to get the remaining travel, I used the compound to do the turning on the ends of the shaft as the carriage was right on the end of the gear rack.

Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
                        It really looks as if you need to arrange some gearing/belts/chains to make it into a set of treadle powered slip rolls.
                        That would be quite funny! If I had a popular youtube channel I would set that up and post it just for the laughs. haha

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                        I would not do it if the shear works. Need my face over it to line up my cut line.

Here is what worked for me, I got a set of rolls about 22 inch, mounted on a 2x10 board.. pull it out and clamp to bench and use it. Might I suggest a 2 x 12 metal tubing base.. could that work.. clamp to a bench to use..
                        Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                        yes imo, like 754, I need to be able to look straight down the blade to line up a layout line. My shear is stacked with stuff because I use it infrequently, but its stuff that is light enough to easily move when I need the shear.

great project btw.....I'm enjoying watching the build

That is a good point about the cut line. But it may be possible yet. Like I mentioned I haven't welded the upper and lower square tubes together yet. If I move the upper square tube and mounted roller back away from the shear head on the lower square tubes I may be able to get a line of sight strait down to the shear line. Looking back at the picture I posted earlier it does look like there may be enough room there to accomplish this. I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

Also, I made sure this deal would bolt to the shear in existing holes. If I had to drill more holes or couldn't remove the whole deal when needed I wouldn't have considered using the shear.

That is exactly the input/comments/looking out for a guy I am looking for! Thank you guys!
                        Andy

Comment

• fabulous, love the pictures. This thing will be awesome when you're done. I particularly liked the recent picture with the slip roller on the lathe, right at its very limit

Comment

• Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                            fabulous, love the pictures. This thing will be awesome when you're done. I particularly liked the recent picture with the slip roller on the lathe, right at its very limit
                            Thanks! Glad you enjoy the pictures, I like seeing pictures too in threads. Looking back at the pic I forgot I flipped the tool post around as well trying to get every 1/4" of reach I could out of the lathe.
                            Andy

Comment

• Drilled the grease passages, tapped holes, installed zerks, cut keyways.

Cleaned and assembled everything, aligned stuff, and tacked in place.

It was at this point I realized I don't have anything I can roll.

One of the grease passages on one end of a roller won't take grease. Not sure whats going on, I blew out and checked for light threw all the passages before assembling.
                              Andy

Comment

• Might be stuck ball in the grease fitting. I had a few of those come in new pack. I'd just replace the fitting with another one and see it that works.

Nick job and great pictures. I'm just now getting caught up with this thread. It's almost as long as one of JD's videos.

Comment

Working...
                                X