No announcement yet.

DIY slip roller, tubes or solid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's some nice work there Andy. Can't wait to see some fire pits roll off that thing.

6 years from start to finish. That's how it's done fellas, the bar has been officially set lol

Comment

• Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
      Might be stuck ball in the grease fitting. I had a few of those come in new pack. I'd just replace the fitting with another one and see it that works.

Nick job and great pictures. I'm just now getting caught up with this thread. It's almost as long as one of JD's videos.
      I did pull the zerk out to check and it passed grease fine. I also ran the drill bit down the hole and it seemed clear and went the correct depth. I am just not able to check the hole that runs perpendicular to the shaft until I pull the endplate off again. I will be soon to finish out the welding on the square tube. I am very curious to see whats going on there.

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
      That's some nice work there Andy. Can't wait to see some fire pits roll off that thing.

6 years from start to finish. That's how it's done fellas, the bar has been officially set lol

Me too! I have been waiting quite some time to play with this thing! Just hope it performs.

So the curse of having a Harbor freight in your town is impulse buys are all to easy... Out with the wife birthday shopping for our boy and since we were driving by the HF store I said "lets stop in"... Sure enough they have the electric threader in stock, wife brings up the 20% deal on her phone, and there I am walking out with a electric pipe threader. $153 I think it was.

After opening I am instantly saddened that the threaders hex just fits over the rollers end shaft. I was really hoping I would be able to just machine the hex into the shaft to fit the threader. I'll now just have to make an adapter.
      Andy

Comment

• So the pipe threader I picked up has the brass/bronze "ring" gear/die holder. The older ones had a steel ring gear. Whats better?

I was thinking over the pros and cons each today and this is my take.

Brass/bronze wears over time and can lose a tooth easier. So the ring gear may wear out after some time.

All steel won't wear as much BUT an all steel ring gear may wear on the worm gear more. The worm gear only has a very small contact area with the ring gear and if that small area wears it would fail too.

So it got me to thinking what would wear out faster? A bronze ring gear that gets contacted all the way around and spends it life in low speed? Or the worm gear with the steel ring gear that only wears on one spot and at higher speed?
        Andy

Comment

• There it is, running out the door for kids hockey so you'll have to wait fro more pics.

Andy

Comment

• I started with some square stock and brought the first 4 sides to size to fit within the octagon threader drive. Then I used a Vblock to start the other 4 sides.

Then dialed in 22.5 degrees and used an endmill to knock down the corners. I didn't realize till after I machined down all 8 sides that the "drive" in the threader tool wasn't exactly "uniform". Seems the corners dipped in on the drive some so the tolerance was to tight for the adapter to fit. Thats why i had to clearance the corners so much.

Sticking to some standard I went for a 1 3/8" hole. For these sprockets/adapters to shaft fits I have been going for a .002-.007 slip fit.

The keyway in the adapter was a combination of sawzall and files. Not great but it will work.

Andy

Comment

• Keyway in the shaft is easy with an endmill.

Then, well, you saw the post I made before leaving.

I have to drill and tap for a set screw yet and turn the groove for the snap ring that is in the threaders drive. Also once I figure out where I want it to sit I will weld on a bar to hold the threader radially by its eyelet hole thingy.

I did run it holding the threader by hand, seems to turn well but does seem a bit fast now that I have it on the roller. But that is hard to say until I actually send some material threw it.

I am getting excited!
              Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by vpt View Post
                Keyway in the shaft is easy with an endmill.

Then, well, you saw the post I made before leaving.

I have to drill and tap for a set screw yet and turn the groove for the snap ring that is in the threaders drive. Also once I figure out where I want it to sit I will weld on a bar to hold the threader radially by its eyelet hole thingy.

I did run it holding the threader by hand, seems to turn well but does seem a bit fast now that I have it on the roller. But that is hard to say until I actually send some material threw it.

I am getting excited!
                We have been waiting for several years for you to get your ass in gear and finish this thing! Come on stay focused!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                  We have been waiting for several years for you to get your ass in gear and finish this thing! Come on stay focused!

Me too! Its about time I get something done.
                  Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by vpt View Post
                    Me too! Its about time I get something done.
                    At the rate you are going by the time it is operational you will have forgotten why you needed it in the first place!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• I am so close now, I think I only have 2 years left till it is finished. I better start planning the next project so I don't have any down time between projects.
                      Andy

Comment

• Whoa, don't get in a hurry now, there's no need to rush into things.

Comment

• The roller is completed I believe!

I haven't taken a pic as it doesn't look much different from the last pic besides the stud to hold the threader is welded on. I still want to build some things but the roller itself is done! I cleaned the shop today in celebration.

The couple things I want to do yet are a cover for the chain and sprockets and a roller base for the whole deal. My idea for the base is raised wheels on a frame that bolts to the shear feet. From that base I'd like to have extendable legs to pull out when the roller is needed, then fold up and stick in the corner when not needed. Much like a engine hoist/cherry picker. I'll probably just wing it like I do most things.
                          Last edited by vpt; 01-15-2019, 12:19 AM.
                          Andy

Comment

• Ran to HF again...

Went to get casters for the shear/roller. I got the blue "rubber" casters rated for 250# each. I figure the shear/roller contraption weighs around 500#.

I had a real struggle today trying to figure out how I want the base/wheels set up. Wanting stuff as low as possible I was working out raised wheels, that adds quite a lot more thinking and figuring. Being a winger with no real plans makes it that much tougher. But after staring at it and moving chunks of metal around I think I have something figured out.

Scrounging around I found enough scraps to at least get the wheels mounted. I may need to pick up a bit more material to finish it all off though. I am salvaging some brackets and metal from a 5th wheel hitch and at least 3 past projects. Again it won't be very pretty but it will get the job done. Every piece of the shear has some fix whether it is a weld or bolted on bracket or sandwiched plate it is a pretty ugly duck so I don't mind keeping with the ugly theme. We'll just call it a "ratrod".

No real progress to show other than a bunch of cut up bits right now so no pics. Might have some tomorrow if I can get some stuff stuck together.
                            Andy

Comment

• If you roll a complete ring how do you get it out? The way it looks now is to unscrew the 4 top bolts and then lift the top roller out with the completed ring. Maybe I’m missing something though.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxford View Post
                                If you roll a complete ring how do you get it out? The way it looks now is to unscrew the 4 top bolts and then lift the top roller out with the completed ring. Maybe I’m missing something though.
                                That is correct. It isn't fast and easy to get a small ring out but it is possible. My original intent is fire rings around 3-4' diameter. At that size it is easy to push the material up and over the upper roll to pop the whole deal out.

With a pinch roll setup where the upper roller is stationary this is an easier problem to over come. Because I wanted it to be a bit easier to roll heavy material I went with the pyramid roller, which in turn makes it a bit harder to get smaller full circles out of the machine.

Also another side effect of "just winging it" when building something.
                                Andy

Comment

Working...
                                X