No announcement yet.

DIY slip roller, tubes or solid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a rolling contraption. I have to pick up some material to make the fold out legs yet but it is darn near 100% done!

Andy

Comment

• Proof of the pudding ... a video of it doing 1/4" plate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
        Proof of the pudding ... a video of it doing 1/4" plate.
        There is a small problem with that which has been bothering me.

To test it yes I want to roll a 24x1/4" plate into a 3' circle. But 24x120x1/4" of material (for me) isn't cheap to just roll into a circle. So I either have to wait for a customer to come along and order a 24" tall 1/4 thick fire ring, then test it. Or I invest in the material, make a design, cut it, then roll it and wait to sell it in the middle of winter. haha

Any of you want a fire ring to see if this thing will work? lol
        Andy

Comment

• Very nice work!! I love your design of the mobile base.

Comment

• Andy, roll anything on it. narrow strip is OK. We don't care what it is but make a video of it and post it. Bitte!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Originally posted by vpt View Post
              There is a small problem with that which has been bothering me.

To test it yes I want to roll a 24x1/4" plate into a 3' circle. But 24x120x1/4" of material (for me) isn't cheap to just roll into a circle. So I either have to wait for a customer to come along and order a 24" tall 1/4 thick fire ring, then test it. Or I invest in the material, make a design, cut it, then roll it and wait to sell it in the middle of winter. haha

Any of you want a fire ring to see if this thing will work? lol
              So what is the plan if you get an order for a 24 inch wide , and it can't do it , or blows the guts out if the Chinesium drive unit ?
              Do you have a shop that can roll it for you ?

A question,don't want to read through the whole thread, your rolls appear go be fabricated, if they are, how thick is the wall ?
              Last edited by 754; 01-17-2019, 01:48 AM.

Comment

• I believe he said it was 1/2 inch wall, 3 or 3-1/2 inch pipe, about 28 inches long.
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• Originally posted by 754 View Post
                  So what is the plan if you get an order for a 24 inch wide , and it can't do it , or blows the guts out if the Chinesium drive unit ?
                  Do you have a shop that can roll it for you ?

A question,don't want to read through the whole thread, your rolls appear go be fabricated, if they are, how thick is the wall ?

Yeah I would just take the material to the local shop that has rolled them int he past for me.

Also like mentioned the wall was 5/8 or 1/2" I forget now. Then two slugs were pressed in 1/3rd of the way from each end, and the end slugs are pressed in 3-4", welded and turned for the bushings and drives and whatnot. The tube won't crush but it may distort, hopefully not yield.
                  Andy

Comment

• I've got some 1/4" and 3/16" plate that I forgot about and recently discovered after removing some shelving in my shop When I first moved into my new home ~7 years ago, I moved all of my 4'x4' plate stock up against the wall, then proceeded to erect shelving along the walls figuring if I need the plate, I'll pull the shelving down to get to it. I finally pulled the shelving but forgot about the plate. If you were local I'd give you a sheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                      I've got some 1/4" and 3/16" plate that I forgot about and recently discovered after removing some shelving in my shop When I first moved into my new home ~7 years ago, I moved all of my 4'x4' plate stock up against the wall, then proceeded to erect shelving along the walls figuring if I need the plate, I'll pull the shelving down to get to it. I finally pulled the shelving but forgot about the plate. If you were local I'd give you a sheet.

Can you get it in a flat rate box and ship it?
                      Andy

Comment

Can you get it in a flat rate box and ship it?
                        Yes, but for the flat rate will you need to take out another mortgage (3rd?) on your house?

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                          Andy, roll anything on it. narrow strip is OK. We don't care what it is but make a video of it and post it. Bitte!

Just for you.

I couldn't get it to pull the bar in after making a screw adjustment so I made the adjustment with the bar in the rollers yet. I am hoping/thinking this might not be a problem with plate as it will have a wider contact area on the drive rollers and have more friction. I stopped in the video because the bar was starting to get a bit sideways, this was my fault because I started the bar off a bit crooked in the beginning. But as that guy in the tv show Forged in fire would say "It will roll". Oh yeah, a connection between the screws to drive them together would be nice.

Andy

Comment

I stopped in the video because the bar was starting to get a bit sideways, this was my fault because I started the bar off a bit crooked in the beginning]
                            If you think you will be doing any amount of small bar or round you can cut grooves into the ends of the rolls to keep things straight. My big slip roll has 3 different size ones for round stock, I think my small set also has them.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxford View Post
                              If you think you will be doing any amount of small bar or round you can cut grooves into the ends of the rolls to keep things straight. My big slip roll has 3 different size ones for round stock, I think my small set also has them.
                              It was mentioned on another forum about a guide to feed material in strait. I thought it was a pretty good idea, I am going to check out what I'll need to do for that. I also have some small cheap infeed rollers that work well but are light duty. I have been wanting to build a more beefier set for awhile now, I guess I have the excuse to get those built now too. One step forward, 3 steps back.
                              Andy

Comment

• The video is great! Thank you for posting. Is that yours?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                                X