DIY slip roller, tubes or solid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Euph0ny View Post
    Just in case the horse is not quite dead... there is a nice close-up view of Myfordboy's bending rollers in use at the start of this video on making a furnace: https://youtu.be/ha1fAxgNIRs

Interesting video! I liked the "lever/dog" drives on the ends of the shaft. Looked to be around 3/32" that he was rolling. Obviously I had to watch the entire video once I started, not much of a talker but he turned out a very nice top for his furnace! I was surprised at how light the refractory seemed to be even though it looked and acted like cement.
    Andy

Comment

Looked at "myfordboy" videos before, quite looking as for a long time there was not much, based on comments to said video, he has rolled 15/64" thick and 1 3/8" wide, so just near that quarter inch.

Also found it of interest, how that video seems to at least somewhat contradict some of the early comments to this thread, it takes lots of cranking but did not seem all that difficult, now, granted, that may change at 9x the width.

Why the "this horse is dead"?
      Not quite 2 years...seen far far longer where there was no interest at all in the first place. I am often curious about good threads that just seem to stop, wonder how or if projects went forward.

Comment

Originally posted by RussZHC View Post
        Looked at "myfordboy" videos before, quite looking as for a long time there was not much, based on comments to said video, he has rolled 15/64" thick and 1 3/8" wide, so just near that quarter inch.

Also found it of interest, how that video seems to at least somewhat contradict some of the early comments to this thread, it takes lots of cranking but did not seem all that difficult, now, granted, that may change at 9x the width.

Thats what I have been thinking. I mean I don't exactly think a HF roller rated at 22G at 48" would roll 10x1/4" but I am sure some machine rated quite well would have a fighting chance at 10x1/4". I am sure anyone that owns a slip roll has pushed its limits at least once.

Just like every manufacturer knows what gauge their machine can roll at full width, I wish they also had specs for narrower materials in the same machines. Unless they don't want people rolling thicker materials no mater how wide?
        Andy

Comment

One problem I could see on some machines rolling thicker than rated material would be tooth engagement of the gears between the rollers. It may be possible to strip out the gear teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
            One problem I could see on some machines rolling thicker than rated material would be tooth engagement of the gears between the rollers. It may be possible to strip out the gear teeth.
            I had an ancient sheet metal roller that I abused shamelessly. It's limit was about 0.110". Beyond that the gear engagement was too shallow to work anymore. But the gears never broke.

I want to build a narrow but really stout little roller. I don't need 36" or even 20". 12" would be fine for most of my needs. But I'd like to be able to roll up to 1/4" thick material with it. And I'd like one end to be openable even if it isn't some slick mechanism. You really have to be able to roll flat bar in order to build meat smokers from round tanks, which is one of my hobbies. Sure wish I could find a good set of plans.

metalmagpie

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
              I had an ancient sheet metal roller that I abused shamelessly. It's limit was about 0.110". Beyond that the gear engagement was too shallow to work anymore. But the gears never broke.

I want to build a narrow but really stout little roller. I don't need 36" or even 20". 12" would be fine for most of my needs. But I'd like to be able to roll up to 1/4" thick material with it. And I'd like one end to be openable even if it isn't some slick mechanism. You really have to be able to roll flat bar in order to build meat smokers from round tanks, which is one of my hobbies. Sure wish I could find a good set of plans.

metalmagpie

Thats like exactly what I want. I would think there would be a pretty good demand for a smaller but beefier roller, how come no one makes one?

I will be driving by the metal salvage yard tomorrow, I may stop in and see if there is anything useful around. I would much rather pay by the scrap pound than for new.
              Andy

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post

metalmagpie
                Originally posted by vpt View Post
                Thats like exactly what I want. I would think there would be a pretty good demand for a smaller but beefier roller, how come no one makes one?

I will be driving by the metal salvage yard tomorrow, I may stop in and see if there is anything useful around. I would much rather pay by the scrap pound than for new.
                That's also what I'm looking for. I have searched, and searched, and have yet to find a heavy duty roller suitable for 1/8"-1/4" in the 12"-24" range. We can't possibly be the only people looking for something like this.

Comment

Maybe I should make up 3 or 4 of them right away?
                  Andy

Comment

A large roller will do narrow stock but the reverse is obvious. There's no call for a small capacity unit in the industry. Major, read "expensive commercial" machines have to have flexibility to do maximum work to be economically viable. Probably there is a dedicated single operation roller sitting somewhere in a corner, unused, waiting for a new life. Good luck in your search.

Comment

Too flimsy? http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Slip-Roll...item43da7ad2a5
                      These are no longer made, high quality, they pop up occasionally: http://blog.sterlingmachinery.com/?p=6060

Comment

Maybe I should make up 3 or 4 of them right away?
                        Ya wanna buy some material for rollers?

Comment

Originally posted by Boostinjdm View Post
                          Ya wanna buy some material for rollers?
                          Well once I build one I could just roll some material into rollers for the next ones.

I was thinking last night, axle tubes on many heavy trucks are at least 3/8" thick maybe more on bigger trucks.
                          Andy

Comment

One of these days....
                            Andy

Comment

One of these days....
                              Don't feel bad, I have a lot of those projects.

Comment

I am reminded every time I need one.
                                Andy

Comment

Working...
                                X