DIY slip roller, tubes or solid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vpt View Post
    Just for more conversation how would a guy inject a fluid to a pressure of say 2000psi and then seal it off?
    A check valve.

If one were going to fill the tube with anything,I would go for a filled epoxy,not nearly as compressible as a fluid and not nearly as compliant.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I could fill it with soda, weld it shut, and then shake it.
      Andy

Comment

Alka Seltzer tablets,stuff it full,weld it shut,use the check valve to add water
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I could fill it with soda, weld it shut, and then shake it.
          Your best bet would be to fill it with popcorn and then hit the outside with a torch!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
            Your best bet would be to fill it with popcorn and then hit the outside with a torch!
            Mythbusters did an episode about this.
            Andy

Comment

Mythbusters did an episode about this.
              What did they prove or disprove? That if you put popcorn in a slip roller's rollers it does not increase the rigidity?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                What did they prove or disprove? That if you put popcorn in a slip roller's rollers it does not increase the rigidity?
                The built up pressure from the heat keeps the popcorn from popping inside of the tube.
                Andy

Comment

Just for more conversation how would a guy inject a fluid to a pressure of say 2000psi and then seal it off? :/
                  Put a zerk fitting in one end and use a 10,000 psi grease gun.
                  North Central Arkansas

Comment

Originally posted by ulav8r View Post
                    Put a zerk fitting in one end and use a 10,000 psi grease gun.
                    This has been talked about a bit on WW. It was mentioned that while you could bring up the pressure to whatever a guy wants, once the gun is removed the weak crimp in the zerk itself probably won't hold the ball back. However after doing some searching I have found some "high pressure" and "ultra high pressure" zerks which will probably work. Instead of wasting all the grease I had the thought of filling the tubes first with oil (or some fluid) and then bringing up the pressure with the grease gun. I also came up with the idea to counter sink the zerk way down into one end of the rollers solid slugs so after bringing up the tubes to whatever pressure a slug could be pressed into the countersink covering the zerk and welded in or even possibly just threading the counter sink and screwing a plug in mostly just in case the zerk leaks.

But before I get ahead of myself I think I will build the whole roller first, try it out, and if I see a potential problem then I will go with a possible pressure route.

I could always fill the tubes with water and freeze them too! Pressure AND a solid
                    Andy

Comment

I think you're asking for trouble trying to pressurize the rollers. If you really feel the need to fill them, go with concrete or epoxy/granite or something along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Boostinjdm View Post
                        I think you're asking for trouble trying to pressurize the rollers. If you really feel the need to fill them, go with concrete or epoxy/granite or something along those lines.
                        You may be right. But you know how I like to try stuff. It is to late for concrete now, both ends of the rollers have been pressed in and welded. I looked at epoxies and boy they are not cheap for the amount I would need, may as well went with solid stock. When I was searching I was actually trying to find some sort of epoxy/liquid that expands some when it hardens, I couldn't seem to find any besides "expanding foam". I did however find a thread in a forum where there was talk about raising pressure inside of a tube that held a camera for a diving ROV.
                        Andy

Comment

I am trying to figure out gears. When matching gears what things need to match for the gears to mesh right? I was looking at some gears that all listed a 16DP but then mentioned 1/8" pitch and .870" pitch, and whatnot. Then there is metric gears, I am lost.

What I am looking for is two 2.5"OD gears to be mounted on two rollers. Then a 6"OD(ish) idler gear as well as a 1.5"OD(ish) idler gear. All 4 need to mesh with each other. Cheap is best so I have been looking on ebay for used or left overs. Seem to be plenty on there and many of the sizes I need but the tooth pitch and stuff confuse me. I had my shopping cart full of a set of gears I thought were all matching (all 16dp gears) but then before I was going to check out I noticed the 2.5"od gears had 62 teeth, and the one 5.75" gear had 66 teeth. That doesn't add up to a very good gear reduction and doesn't make sense for the teeth meshing well even though they are both 16dp.

Bore makes no difference as I can make it bigger or turn down the shafts to whatever I need.

Help!
                          Andy

Comment

They type of zerk fittings you need use a double check ball, and will hold the 10,000 psi. We use them on hydraulic nuts to secure tooling to an arbor. If I can find the part number I will let you know.

Comment

I am trying to figure out gears.

What I am looking for is two 2.5"OD gears to be mounted
                              on two rollers. Then a 6"OD(ish) idler gear as well as a
                              1.5"OD(ish) idler gear. All 4 need to mesh with each other
                              A gear design resource to explore until someone
                              posts with more useful advice

Comment

Three pages and around 50 posts on this. And not one word on exactly how to calculate just what these rollers will do. Tube vs. solid. 1", 2", 4", etc. Bearing construction. Gear sizes. Fill or not and with what. Etc. All by "seat of the pants" engineering. "Cut and try!"

And you guys always make fun of engineers?

I am not questioning the effort. I salute it. And I am sure a usable roller can be made. It just seems strange that no one here can do the calculation or at least no one has. I am sure calculus would be involved. Makes me wonder if the commercial ones are made the same way.
                                Paul A.
                                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
                                X