South Bend lathe Model SS 4209 general questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend lathe Model SS 4209 general questions

I recently bought one and haven't found much info out there about this machine. I did get a book with it. I'll look tomorrow but I think the lathe has different numbers on it than the 4209 but does look just like the one in the manual.

It looks to be a fine precision unit able to cut both metric and standard threads by simply flipping a few levers.

I'm looking for some parts(some of the hand wheels and dials) for this unit as a few pieces are missing and of course tooling since I got virtually nothing for it's 4 D-1 headstock, #5-#3 MT spindle sleeve, or #3 MT spindle center and tail stock.

I did get a 36" face plate with it that was obviously for a huge machine. Trying to decide what good use it could be. Perhaps a table for my mill?

Thanks and looks like a cool forum here. I appreciate any help or advice you can give as I'm far from a seasoned or ace machinist.

I intend to use it for our full service bike shop for a wide range of tasks. Any suggestions as to stuff I should get for it would be also appreciated.

I also my be inclined to buy or trade with any of you good folks here.
    visit our website! keep me in mind when you clean out your barn or garage, I might let you pay me to haul off that old indian motorcycle or whatever! Thanks!

Hackasaw

For starters, here's the link to the Southbend site (in case you don't have it) http://www.southbendlathe.com/ They should be able to answer some questions for you and probably have parts.. (prices may be scary)

Used parts may be available if you can find the right dealers. eBay is another possible source.

I'm not familiar with the SS 4209. What size & vintage is it?

As for tooling, hmmmm, all out right away or start with the basics?

Good Luck!
    Herb

Comment

I was thinking the machine had a different number on it than the parts book....... seems like a 7200 number or a 7500 number. Heck, maybe it's a 7700 number. None of them show up on the southbendlathe.com's site and I've not found any on the internet. I did do a proper several searches with the actual numbers off the lathe..

Aside from the specs I've given already, it is 13" over the ways and 8 1/4" over the cross slide. The dials read metric and standard (well, they did before they got stolen!) and it cuts from 2-56TPI and is done with three semi rotary levers on a control panel. It also cuts from .2-14mm with the same levers. It is a tiny 30" between centers and has a 3 horse motor.

Does that help at all?

I'm going to call them tomorrow.

I've not seen another quite like it. I would guess that the closest I've seen yet has been one of the tool room lathes on SB's site.
      I can email you pix if you will shoot me one to [email protected]

I'm terrible about not checking mine as most people have enough sense to call me! I do check it everyday but the neurons melt when there is like......... a bunch of emails every day and I usually get my OL to deal with the easy ones
      visit our website! keep me in mind when you clean out your barn or garage, I might let you pay me to haul off that old indian motorcycle or whatever! Thanks!

Comment

oh........ the [email protected] is my OL's addy, mine is [email protected].

Comment

Working...
        X