SB9 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SB9 Questions

Just got a SB9 model C. I'm taking it apart to clean everything out. While it's apart I thought I'd tighten up the carriage handwheel. There is a pin holding it to the shaft, is it tapered or straight? There are other pins holding things to shafts with pins, what type are these? I have read here that some are using pipe cleaners to replace the felt oilers for the spindle, don't they have wire in them? Would fabric store felt work? Or should you use some of the hard felt like that used on piano hammers? The spindle is in near perfect shape and I'd like to keep it that way.
    Gene

The pins are tapered, look closely, and you will see large and small end.
    There is information on oilers in the Third Hand section under SB 9 spindle Oilers.
    Enjoy your lathe.
    Jim H.

Comment

tpct,

You might consider ordering a manual from South Bend for your model. It's very informative and well worth the cost. I don't know what their phone number is, now that they changed hands, but perhaps someone can post it for us.

Mike

Comment

Look here:

http://www.southbendlathe.com/manuals.htm

Number is 1-800-245-2843

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 04-02-2004).]
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Per JC's tapered pin comment, I'll reemphasize the caution to look closely. Look REAL CLOSE.
          On a recently acquired shaper I spent a couple of hours (unproductively) trying to punch one out the wrong way. I was sure I was punching the small end. Hard to tell the difference when they're stained and dinged.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Heed the previous warning. The shorter the pin the harder it may be able to tell. When I was refurbishing my SB lathe, I thought I was driving the small end of the pin also. Mine was on the half nut lever though. Broke lever casting in half. Luckily, there is a small foundry near me, I was able to get a new lever cast, not out of cast iron as I would have liked, but bronze instead. I had them cast three of them, just in case. Cost for all three $25.00. Probably could not buy one lever from SBL for that price.
            Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

Evan, thanks for the link and the phone number.

-Mike

Comment

ERBenoit:

Where did you get three levers cast for $25 bucks? What a bargain!!

I would expect to pay that to just walk thru the door (well, not quite)

Pete

Comment

Peter,

I've had some work done recently at Mystic River Foundry, nearer me than you, but still only 30 minutes from Branford. Castings have been cheaper than I expected.

www.mysticriverfoundry.com/

Frank

Comment

Topct,

I just came across this yesterday while trying to solve a similar problem. It's an Army technical manual on the SB9 lathe - seems quite detailed - 66 pages.

https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/data/A/047809.pdf

Hope this helps.

Frank

Comment

OH MAN!! That foundry is in CT! woohoo!
                      Now I know where to get my bronze wheels castings done for my Gauge 1 projects!

Comment

frankc64,

Does the site you posted the link to have other machinery manuals?

If so how do I find them? The site is not too easy to move around in.

Thanks Mike

Comment

I just replaced the oilers on mine. The old ones were plainly worn out and the springs were scraping against the spindle. Not a desirable condition.

I got the new oilers from LeBlond for $12 each plus shipping. They were very helpful.

You could make oilers from springs, felt, and some cotton. I took pictures and plan to post one or two to the Yahoo SB9 board so you can see how they are made. There's a ruler in the pictre for scale. Check there Sunday or Monday.

I definitely wouldn't use pipe cleaners. Absolutely not.

Paul A.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Mike,

I just tried to find the same page where I found the SB manual and got this msg

"The ETM database will be offline Friday from 2000 to 1700 Saturday CST."

Anyway, I think this is the site where I found it.

http://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/find_etm.cfm

There must have been hundreds of manuals there, so I would imagine that there are others there for machines. To search; I just did a ctrl-f and typed in lathe.

Frank

Comment

Frank,

Thanks! I'll give it a try Sunday - who knows what wealth of information might be there.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X