X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skooter
    replied
    Originally posted by quasi View Post
    my most used is the oyocomova, followed closely by bffi.
    rofl

Leave a comment:

• PixMan
    replied
    No one "go to" really, but about a dozen different shapes, sizes, styles and grades.

The very best all-around insert I ever used is no longer available, and I used it the other day to rough out and finish 303 stainless. Still barely looks used. It's a Valenite CNMG432-M6 grade 8525.

I also have some Walter DNMG431-FP5 grade WPP20S, and that's my No.1 finisher. Unlike most negative rake inserts for steels, with this one I can take as little as .004" (0.1mm) depth of cut at nearly any cutting speed (except slow) and get really nice finishes.

Leave a comment:

• platypus2020
    replied
    TNMG 321, or 322

Leave a comment:

• quasi
    replied
    My most used is the OYOCOMOVA, followed closely by BFFI.

Leave a comment:

• dian
    replied

dngp431, 15 04 04, kc730, kennametac.

they are great allaround.

i also use dnmg 15 06 16-15, 444-15, 415 p-k15 (sand. cor).

i have to admit, that i dont really know what most of all that means.
    Last edited by dian; 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    I use nearly exclusively Walter WNMG with a .4 and .8 nose radius. I get mirror finishes and can take quite heavy cuts. They don't work well to sneak up on a final dimension.

Leave a comment:

• RWO
    replied
    TPMT16T-308 Cermet I stumbled onto a lifetime supply some years back for an very low price and bought all they had.

RWO

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    CCMT here. Various sizes. JR

Leave a comment:

• Jaakko Fagerlund
    replied
    Originally posted by RussZHC View Post
    Suspect most lower power machines will be CCMT...?
    I used DNMG's successfully in my SIEG SC4 lathe, though it was with a 1 kW motor. But the finishing grades turn very freely, especially with small nose radius like 0.2 and 0.4 mm.

Oh and totally forgot WNMG's and SNMG's, they really take some (ab)use in roughing, usually the machines torque becomes the limiting factor. And this is on a 8 kW industrial lathe.

Leave a comment:

• RussZHC
    replied
    Small CCMT, both turning and boring. Trying some TCMT as well (could get 1/2" shank cheap but good quality).

Originally got the first CCMT with older Tungaloy, really liked those but I had no frame of reference AFAIK particular coating is no longer available (or is but tough to find), they just seemed to last.

Have found the inserts that come with Micro 100 shanks are pretty good but I am not sure as to coating/chip...could be something proprietary. IMO leans towards finishing as opposed to roughing.

Just started using some Mitsubishi CCMT and TCMT, seems to work pretty well even outside the suggested ranges (slower)...UE 6020 series, so not the most current but...

Suspect most lower power machines will be CCMT...?

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    WNMG 432 is my go-to insert for facing and turning (same tool holder and setting). I have several grades, but don't get too fussy about which unless it's stainless or finishing. I often use the positive insert form in 431 in the negative rake holder for finer or finishing work.

Leave a comment:

• Shade
    replied
    CCMT 2(1.5)x, I have several grades from Sandvik and Seco.

For threading I have several Iscar grades in a lay-down geometry, do not recall the size.
    and several grades from Kennametal and Sandvik for the Top-notch/Top-Lok style holders.

Leave a comment:

• Seastar
    replied
    What's a "chip breaker" or an "insert"?
    Seriously, I just grind my own HSS or buy on sale from Enco braised carbide sets "for steel" on occasion.
    I have a 50 year old lathe and that seems like the tooling it should use.
    It would probably take me the rest of my life to learn the complex world of inserts.
    I have progressed to a quick change toolpost so maybe there's hope.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• skooter
    replied
    I should have prefaced my first post by stating that my shop is currently only setup for light machining and fabrication... All manual machines in my humble wee shop, but I earned them all and can be proud of that.

Jaakko, the largest tooling I have that use CCMT inserts (CCMT 120408-F1) are both an SCLCR and a SCLCL 2020K12.
    In the past I've had the opportunity to use DNMGs in a lathe that had the power to really push them, they are impressive.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Jaakko Fagerlund
    replied
    DNMG 1506xx inserts, both with 0.4 mm and 0.8 and 1.6 mm nose radius. Chip breakers for roughing, semi-finish and fine finishing. Don't remember them from the top of my head, have to check later, but almost all of thm are Sandvik, Seco or Kennametal (for ceramics KY2200).

CCMT inserts in very small size and only in finishing grade and chip breaker to use on a very small solid carbide boring bars.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X