Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love the videos BUT some have little regard for safety.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love the videos BUT some have little regard for safety.

I love the many videos of machining that are posted nowadays, both on this site and elsewhere. However, many of them make me wince , and distract me from the good information in them thanks to an apparent almost total disregard for safety. For example I just linked to a series showing a very able fellow setting up a piece and drilling and tapping a hole, He was wearing a wristwatch while doing so. I would have been fired had I worn a ring or watch in most places I worked. Al least his full length shirt sleeves were fastened at the cuffs. Please, If you are going to post a video, work safely just in case a newcomer does not realise that what you are doing is unsafe, works in the same way and has a mishap.I still have all my fingers, and just a few scars to remind me of how lucky I have been. Work safe, Have Fun, David Powell.

Maybe you should make a video on shop safety & the perils of of not following it. You may save a lot of people undo injury.
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

I've worn my wristwatch for some of my videos, and because my hands are far enough away from the rotating bits I felt no danger. I always took my watch off when working in the "cutting zone" of the CNC swiss lathes, and other machines.

I've been that daring (careless) since I started trade school for the trade in 1973, and now 40 years later I also still have all my digits. I lucky perhaps, but haven't gotten more than a tiny sliver from milling stainless steel with 1/8" end mill in my thumb....since last night. I did get "called out" by a friend for blowing aluminum chips off a workpiece in the video I made of my first home-shop CNC milling test. I admit, bad move and I promised to put the safety glasses on in the future no matter how much they fogged up from the drenching heat and humidity in the shop like they did that day.

Comment

I have and will continue to wear a wrist watch while working , but there is one thing that many over look THE BAND , all of mine are capable of breaking before any damage is done to me , I will never wear a ring as they are all solid and will rip a finger off before breaking.
        I also dont always wear high visibility clothing as I beleive that if a machine operator cannot distinguish between a person and a shadow they are not safe to have on any site.

I wear steel toed work boots and they are ones with ankle support (mandatory on most sites).

Its your attitude when working around any machinery that will cause accidents , I have seen many who reach across rotating shafts, near high speed cooling fans and belts on 600HP + motors and wonder why I shut the gear down .
        I have seen the results of not concentrating , a piece of rag caught in a gear and dragged the fitters arm into the gearbox ,the only way to get him out was to put the drive into reverse , I will never forget that day as he was my supervisor and a close friend .

Safety has become abused but the people who want to wrap everyone in cotton wool and blame others for their stupid actions.
        Michael

Comment

How does not wearing a wristwatch in the video teach someone about not wearing wristwatches? You'd have to make a point about all the safety measures you're taking for a viewer to know it's even occuring.

Comment

Just thinking of the brand new beginner.

Originally posted by Forestgnome View Post
            How does not wearing a wristwatch in the video teach someone about not wearing wristwatches? You'd have to make a point about all the safety measures you're taking for a viewer to know it's even occuring.
            I believe that most of us initially learn by watching and listening. By always showing safe ways to work hopefully beginners will notice and perhaps ask questions such as" I have never seen a machinist wear a ring or wristwatch in a video, Why? ". I am probably far from being " completely safe " workman myself. My main aim is to get the job done quickly and efficiently. I knowingly do things that have an element of chance BUT I hope I am fully aware of the possibilities of disaster, take reasonable care to avoid the disaster, carefully assess the level of risk involved and I will certainly not allow others around me to take some of the chances I take.I learned to drive a full size steam roller at the age of 11. I was told" If you get it wrong it will eat you". So far I have escaped being eaten by machinery!To misquote an early safety motto" You can play dangerous games in safe places, or safe games in dangerous places, but if you play dangerous games in dangerous places you can soon be in trouble"Work safe, have fun and try not to visit hospital emergency departments often if at all. Regards David Powell.

Comment

I worked in machine shops and around working industrial machines for decades. Never heard of anyone not wearing a watch out of fear of it getting caught in machinery. The tiny pins that hold a wristwatch band to the watch body will bend and let go with very little provocation.
              The only time I take my watch off when working on machinery is on motorcycles where I don't want to risk scratching the paintwork on the bike as I swing the wrenches.

Rings however were a different story. Either not worn, or worn but with a slit cut in the ring out of sight behind the finger, so ring would open up and let go if it got caught on a moving shaft or even catch on a handrail etc.

Comment

Perhaps not quite such a hazard in a machine shop BUT---

Originally posted by Hopper View Post
                I worked in machine shops and around working industrial machines for decades. Never heard of anyone not wearing a watch out of fear of it getting caught in machinery. The tiny pins that hold a wristwatch band to the watch body will bend and let go with very little provocation.
                The only time I take my watch off when working on machinery is on motorcycles where I don't want to risk scratching the paintwork on the bike as I swing the wrenches.

Rings however were a different story. Either not worn, or worn but with a slit cut in the ring out of sight behind the finger, so ring would open up and let go if it got caught on a moving shaft or even catch on a handrail etc.
                A very long time ago a friend who was a motor mechanic gave me a hand changing the steering box in my car, he did so while dressed in good clothes and finished up with just his finger tips dirty!!He did remove his wedding ring and watch before he began, and on my asking why took a bit of shim stock, held it with a pair of pliers and shorted it out on a couple of exposed terminals near the steering box, the shim stock heated to red in seconds. I know you ought to remove battery cables BEFORE working on cars but many diagnostic tests used to have to be made with engines running. A hands on demonstration like that is more impressive than hours of lectures. Work safe, have fun. Regards David Powell.

Comment

My Dad always used to say that if you don't feel safe, then, you aren't. If not wearing a watch feels safer then by all means don't wear one. It's not a huge inconvenience not wearing a watch. I wear a watch, I've never had an issue.
                  Loose clothing is a greater risk than a wrist watch IMHO.
                  Me on a good day is like a black hole, we know they exist but nobody's ever seen one

Comment

I wear my wedding ring 24/7. When my wife and I bought our rings I ask the jeweler to split mine so it is not a complete ring. If I catch it on something It will just spread and come off, not taking my finger with it.

Dave

Comment

So, what you are telling me this is not good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4qB6n1cm04

Here, hold my beer.
                      Last edited by KIMFAB; 07-13-2013, 01:15 PM.
                      Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Originally posted by KIMFAB View Post
                        So, what you are telling me this is not good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4qB6n1cm04

Here, hold my beer.
                        I don't see a watch, therefore I declare it SAFE!

Love how he uses his hand as the fulcrum on the "tool rest".
                        Classic
                        Me on a good day is like a black hole, we know they exist but nobody's ever seen one

Comment

Working...
                        X