Stupid economics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid economics

I needed 3/4" brass rod and when I checked my stock of brass I had 1/2", 1", and 1 1/4". Brass being expensive and me being cheap, I didn't want to use the 1", so instead I drove off to the local metal shop and purchased some 3/4". As as I was driving back it occurred to me how stupid this was. There's a good chance that 1" brass rod will sit on my rack for another 6 month or more and here I was spending more money and thinking that I was saving money. Gee, it's a good thing that I'm not a fund manager.

Albert

Albert, surely you know that had you used the 1" rod, your very next project would have absolutely required that same rod, and you would have desperately needed it on a sunday!<g>

Herb

Comment

Good point Herb. Now I feel vindicated.

Albert

Comment

What Herb has said also applies to "cleaning out the place". Last time I looked at my scrounged electronics stockpile I said to myself "I am never gonna need tubes again...". Tossed out the tube testers, tubes, teflon sockets, bakelite socktets, tube sheilds, you name it. Two days later I needed them to repair a friends (great) am radio. Should have known better.

I try not to throw out stuff with value now (anyone need some Silicon Graphics boards?) now I either sell it or give it away (or beg someone to take it!).

Comment

The basic law of this hobby is never throw anything away.

The second law, which goes hand in hand with the first is never store it in a manner which allows it to be found when needed.
          Jim H.

Comment

Well put JC! I've practiced both laws for many years. The second law becomes so easy after a while!
            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

JCHannum:
              That second law sort of insures you follow the first! (guilty)

Comment

Following the second law causes you to find what you were looking for a couple of days ago when you are looking for what you cannot find today.
                You then put that item in a place where you will be sure to find it the next time.
                By this time, you have probably forgotten what you were looking for, or why you needed it in the first place.
                Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                X