Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you take dents out of a round aluminum tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post
    Andy-
    Did you use any liquid liner (aka Kreem) in the tank?

No I didn't, should have I? Bare aluminum is used all the time for cells, lines, and rails. From what I could tell the tank was bare aluminum originally inside.
    Andy

Comment

• Originally posted by Glug View Post
      Love that tank! Are you sure that isn't off a flying car?
      It is nick named the Mae West tank and also the reason I too like this motor. When the tank is nice and can be just polished these motors look amazing.

Today I took a little time to tighten down the tank and run the plumbing for the fuel. I just have to put some screws in to hold the front cover, polish up the fill cap for the one side of the gas tank, and then I need to turn up a air breather type fitting to fit in the other tank. I honestly don't know how to go about this fitting yet. The hole is not threaded, it is a .500" hole with a lip/ring at the bottom of the hole that is around .350"ID, this ring is about .300"ish down from the top. Do I make a fitting with an O-ring seal/press fit that sits above the ring in the hole or a smaller o-ring to fit past the ring and hold the fitting in better? Other ideas?
      Andy

Comment

• Maybe both?
        Kansas City area

Comment

• I think I can say the motor is complete. I went and picked up the $0.11 ea. #4 stainless screws to finish off mounting the front and top covers together. Originally they were strait slot button head screws that would rust but we threw original out the window when we painted the tank.

I also turned up the breather cap for the second tank. I looked closer and noticed that I already ran a tap down the breather hole in the tank I am guessing both in preparation for a screw in breather and to screw in a plug for dent removal work. Good deal, I quick threw threads on the new breather fitting while it was in the lathe for the o-ring groove. The brass was a drop from some other work that was perfect size, I didn't have to reduce it in any way other than to clean it up and put the threads on. See it pays to save even the smallest pieces.

Andy

Comment

• Hit the hole right on the head?

I will get better pics if the sun ever comes out. Last couple things left to do is make up the pull start rope and handle, and then hopefully hear it run.
            Andy

Comment

• That motor is looking sweet! It deserves to see some water on the back of a period boat.

Comment

• Video of it running shortly. I am almost positive it has a weak coil. It will die after running shortly and then every consecutive run will be shorter and shorter till it doesn't fire at all. I did pull the plug and try to see if there was spark when it was dead but it was hard to see out on the lake. I was just happy to hear it run at least for a short while. I do have a spare for parts with a good coil as well, I may swap it in to try it.

It is louder than it should be because the exhaust is nearly out of the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTn8wveCv4U
                Andy

Comment

Working...
                X