sorry but I must just ask this last question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sorry but I must just ask this last question

re my shed dampness on ceiling I have decided to insulate with polystyrene would tyhick bubble wrap do just as well as I csan get it easier than polystyrene? Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Anything can be used as insulation. (Okay, most anything.) The whole point is to create a barrier to reduce heat transfer. As it turns out air is fairly effective - IF you can stop it from moving around. That's how fiberglass works: traps the air. And extruded styrene: full of tiny trapped air bubbles. So I see no reason why bubble wrap wouldn't work. It would just need to be somewhat thick, and I'm not sure how you would hold it in place.
    Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

We used thin bubble wrap on the roof of my 50X75 steel building. It has worked well for the last 10 years with no moisture issues.

Ross
      GUNS Don't kill people
      Drivers using cell phones do.

Comment

Bubble wrap would make good insulation as long as proper installation principles are followed. Most of the insulating value comes from the air trapped in the insulation rather than the material itself. Materials like fiberglass only get their full rating when they are "fluffed" up. If it is compressed, it loses most of its value. The studs between the fiberglass actually transmit more of the heat through the wall.

Make sure there are no gaps to allow air to flow through the insulation. More than 10% gaps in the insulation will reduce your heating efficiency by more than 50%.

Make sure there are no points where moisture will get trapped. This will cause mold and rot.

Comment

The obvious issue I could see with bubble wrap (assuming you're talking bubble wrap like what you use in packing, where it's large sheets of plastic with bubbles in it) is that if you are laying it in sheets it would act as a vapour barrier at multiple levels, with moisture getting trapped within the layers, which could cause a problem. That's why you always install vapour barrier on the hot side of the wall only.

Comment

I've used Reflectex which is 2 layer of bubbles & foil on both sides & it worked well for a condensation barrier.
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

Usually moisture in typical homes etc dissapates through the ceiling. Witness the use of unfaced insulation (no vapor barrier.) Walls do have a vapor barrier. Unless you want to run a dehumidifier, I wouldn't use a plastic barrier.
              gvasale

Comment

Alister
                Something lke this is what you need.
                http://www.kingspaninsulation.com.au...-AIR-CELL.aspx
                I'm sure there would be an equivelent in the UK. I had this under the roof and on the walls of a 16m X 8m shed I used to have. It worked very well. But keep in mind we don't have the amount of rain and cold here where I live in Australia that you get in the UK.
                regards
                bollie7

Comment

Use fifty pound notes you tight bastard, you have enough of them.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by john stevenson View Post
                    use fifty pound notes you tight bastard, you have enough of them.
                    lol

Comment

One caution that I would think of is what the bubble wrap turns into when involved in a fire. Do you know EXACTLY what type of plastic is used in it and what fumes it gives off when heated or burned. Some plastics can give off very lethal fumes when burned.

Fiberglass insulation, that is intended for use in buildings, is relatively cheap.
                      Paul A.

Make it fit.
                      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Why don't you come and do it for me we use fifties as toilet paper so they would stick on ok althought it will be a jobby for an expert like yourself I'll pay you amillion to do it as money is no object as long as I pay you the scottish way that is I always pay you next week .LOL Alistair
                        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I fear that it is pretty futile discussing condensation issues without knowledge and possibly experience of the local climate. We have problems here with condensation in steel shipping containers where it practically rains inside but the condition is easily cured with just a couple of links of chain.

Comment

Working...
                          X