OT Americas cup boat race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Americas cup boat race

You guys following this, the might of Silicon Valley and Oracle getting served on a plate by a team from the South Pacific ?

Quite high tech 45kts in a boat is pretty good, maybe America needs to buy their boats down here !!
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

They did - the prototype was built in NZ, and the skipper is an Aussi.

Comment

Yup-------------

--G

Comment

Originally posted by Yow Ling View Post
        You guys following this, the might of Silicon Valley and Oracle getting served on a plate by a team from the South Pacific ?
        Good on 'ya, I say. I've been rooting for New Zealand since 1971.

Now you will get to set the rules for the next America Cup, and the venue. I favor displacement hulls, sailing on Cook Strait. That would separate the men from the boys.
        Last edited by aostling; 09-19-2013, 10:48 PM.
        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by Yow Ling View Post

Quite high tech 45kts in a boat is pretty good, maybe America needs to buy their boats down here !!

Did I miss something? I thought NZ still has to have another win?

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post
            Good on 'ya, I say. I've been rooting for New Zealand since 1971.

Now you will get to set the rules for the next America Cup, and the venue. I favor displacement hulls, sailing on Cook Strait. That would separate the men from the boys.
            Nah, winged cats on Cook Strait with not limit on wind speed, then we would surely see some blistering times!

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
              Did I miss something? I thought NZ still has to have another win?
              Isn't that scheduled for tomorrow?
              My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

I will be wearing my red socks.

Comment

With the replacement of their tactician by an Englishman, I believe that Oracle now have no Americans on their boat. Like the team boss Russell Coutts, most of their crew are in fact New Zealanders. No wonder the event is getting almost no attention in the USA.
                  The boats are truly astonishing technology, but at US$10,000,000 apiece, they are ludicrously expensive. They are, I think, the single greatest leap forward in sailing technology since the Bermudan mainsail replaced the gaff, but I can't see much of the innovation trickling down to the real world any time soon.
                  As for tomorrow — Go Aotearoa!

Comment

It's like watching a duel with light sabres....fun, but it has nothing to do with sailing real boats in real weather. Safety limitations restrict the boats to winds below 22 knots (or thereabouts). I've sailed a 16-foot HobieCat single-handed in that kind of wind with a rag jib and a mainsail from a 14-foot HobieCat.

It is a marvelous display of high tech design, though. Getting six+ tons of boat to fly at forty+ knots on some hockey sticks is pretty impressive.

The pressure's on the Oracle team, and I can't wait to see the next race Friday afternoon.
                    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Burch View Post
                      No wonder the event is getting almost no attention in the USA.
                      The New York Times sports section has had good coverage. I read a hard copy but you can get it online: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/19/sp...ml?src=me&_r=0. Last week they described the close call when the New Zealand boat almost capsized in an unexpected gust. I hope nothing like that will mar the final victory race.
                      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by winchman View Post
                        I've sailed a 16-foot HobieCat single-handed in that kind of wind with a rag jib and a mainsail from a 14-foot HobieCat.

It is a marvelous display of high tech design, though. Getting six+ tons of boat to fly at forty+ knots on some hockey sticks is pretty impressive.

The pressure's on the Oracle team, and I can't wait to see the next race Friday afternoon.
                        I used to race Hobie 16's too! Great fun when it's windy! A total drag when it's calm! We used to piss of the coast guard being the only fools out when small craft warning were out on Lake Ontario.

The type of sailing these teams are doing requires world class athletes. No racing in blue blazers for them.

I always enjoyed racing with the few Aussies I met. They were great sailors, especially in high winds. Never had the pleasure of racing with a New Zealander. The sailors I had the most fun with we're from Granada! Ya Mon!

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                          I will be wearing my red socks.
                          We really don't need to go there do we?
                          keep in mind lots of kids read this stuff...

Comment

I used to sail Hobie Cats when I lived in SoCal - unbelievably fun fun fun of a cold wet kind, but damn it's easy to put them in irons, and they're an anchor in light airs. Hiking gear is a must and also serves as a trebuchet when you least expect it.

Comment

Oracle team had to big a hole too climb out with a 2pt deduction . They spent way too much time racing the other team boat . Then race real world Competition, and found out they were not near fast enough or made quick enough jives. America's Team had a grand total of two sailors on board from the USA. Larry Ellison lost site of what he was trying to accomplish . I think a better penalty for Team Oracle would been the three sailors being tossed along with the team manager.

Comment

Working...
                              X