• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little giant hammer cast iron Portland oregon

Hi gents,
    I just came into possession of this:

But it has a "little" problem:

It's cast iron. Collective wisdom, can this be welded or brazed? I can rebore the axle shaft afterwards. Anyone recommend a competent shop in the Portland, OR area to do this? The alternative is to get a disc of 3" thick, 13" diameter plate and mill it out. What you all think?
    Last edited by 914Wilhelm; 09-21-2013, 04:08 PM. Reason: Stupid autokorrekt

CI can be welded, and if done properly is as good as new. The trick is doing it properly... It requires more than average skill, knowledge and equipment. If done improperly, the piece can be made worse -- more cracks, etc. If a sub-standard shop manages to stick it together, there still could be cracks and the piece could fail in service.

If you don't find a shop you're comfortable with, definitely go to plan B. You could braze the piece and keep it as a memento.

Comment

I would mill a new one.
      As fjk said, Braze the old one together and hang it on the wall.

Comment

Or use that one for a pattern and make a new casting.

Comment

I have to say although it could be fixed, I don't think I would trust it no matter who did it. Having one cast would be cool, but probably not economically viable.

Comment

Split the difference- do both.

Seriously: Weld or braze the original part. I have had good luck with a stick-welding rod called "Muggyweld". It's pretty expensive (on the order of $8-$10 per rod) but it works very well:

Then, once it's welded or brazed, face the backside. Turn, say, a 1/4" or 3/8" deep circular recess in the back, out to within an inch or two of the rim. Turn (or plaz, or saw, whatever) a disc to fit that recess (the snugger the better) and then drill through and tap for six or eight bolts. (Either thru-bolts with nuts, or drilled through from the steel and tapped into the iron, or drilled through the iron and threaded into the steel, etc.)

Or you could do a ring, instead of a full disc, or you could even turn the OD of the iron disc, and shrink on a hot "wagon wheel" tire ring.

Doc.
            Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

That's an early 50lb LG if I'm not mistaken and the crank plate is probably the weak link.I wouldn't waste time welding that one.Instead this looks like the perfect application for a weldment as it would save a lot of machine work.

Oh almost forgot,you suck!
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                That's an early 50lb LG if I'm not mistaken and the crank plate is probably the weak link.I wouldn't waste time welding that one.Instead this looks like the perfect application for a weldment as it would save a lot of machine work.

Oh almost forgot,you suck!
                Hmmmm..... Are you implying I did ok for a $100.00?
                My blacksmith friend who went with me to pick this up is going crazy cause he knows the area and has driven same road and hasn't seen it. I was going to borrow a trailer so I can go pick up my new lathe next week. (maybe I will have a real gloat then, maybe not) I overshot the driveway and caught this out of the corner of my eye. Met the nicest man. He said he chopped it out of a tree in Montana years ago. I believe him as the thing was incased in pitch. Said the scappers had been trying to talk him out of it for years but would sell it to me cause he thought it would go to a nice home.

Starting to cleanup OK:

Last edited by 914Wilhelm; 09-20-2013, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 914Wilhelm View Post
                  Hmmmm..... Are you implying I did ok for a $100.00?
                  $100,for a LG hammer?Correction,you don't just suck,you powerful suck!

Even with the broke crank plate and fugliness you did super.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Before you invest to much time in repair call:
                    http://www.littlegianthammer.com/
                    and get their advice. Might have used parts... I would fab one from plate stock if I couldn't find a suitable replacement part.
                    BTW looks like a hundred pounder... at least it looks bigger than the 50 I had and sold 15 years ago. Regardless, call or email Sid and get his opinion.

paul
                    paul
                    ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
                    but you may have to

Comment

Calling little giant sounds like the best advice so far.
                      But, if that fails you might want to check with Martin Model (http://www.martinmodel.com/index.html)
                      They are in Portland, and they do custom pattern making and casting.

Comment

If the broken parts fit good together you might want to consider shrinking a heavy tire like 5/16" thick flat bar on. Then could weld flanges on tire and or groove out crack some and some nickel weld. An idea anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmonger View Post
                          Before you invest to much time in repair call:
                          http://www.littlegianthammer.com/
                          Ditto -- call Sid. He has the flywheel in stock.

That's an early 50 lb'er, by the way.

How are the bearings? If you need to cast new babbit bearings, Sid sells a great DVD showing the whole process of building the molds/dams.
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

IMO you can't weld cast iron. The best you can get is a good glue job. Something that thick would be even more of a problem. Brazing would probably work, but in either case you'd need to preheat the whole thing to around 1300F. Others undoubtedly disagree....

I would contact the company and get a new part, or make one. The last thing you want is for that thing to come apart in use.
                            ----------
                            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I agree with the "no-weld" group. That acts as a flywheel and if it ever comes apart again, you'll have a cannon ball flying across the room. You can't compare welding a hand lever to welding a flywheel--The stresses aren't EVEN close. I wouldn't trust a weld on that no matter how good he was.

By the way, you do suck. $100 for that? You stole it. Comes close to my $35 30 ton Toledo punch press.

Comment

Working...
                              X