• A 240 year old doll that can write

You fellows got to see this:

http://www.chonday.com/Videos/the-writer-automaton
    Gary Davison
    Tarkio, Mo.

That is just amazing! Brilliant!
    Andy

Comment

Wow! This is truly remarkable. And he didn't even have a Chinese mill-drill-lathe.

Comment

That is incredible - there's some kind of magic that was going on back in the day, this is an incredible feat to say the least, where did people get this kind of talent to do what they did?

Talk about a Master...

Comment

Are you sure Michael?

Comment

Absolutely unbelievable. There was no electricity. People walked or rode animals. Metal working equipment was primitive. The idea of programming anything did not exist.

Unreal.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by j king View Post
              Are you sure Michael?
              Not really. The only thing I know is that Harbor Freight came to the existence a bit later.

P.S. Do you know what Neil Armstrong saw on the Moon when he exclaimed: "Oh boy, it's... it's... it's really something fantastic here, you... you could never imagine this! "

It was a Chinese restaurant.
              Last edited by MichaelP; 09-23-2013, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                That is incredible - there's some kind of magic that was going on back in the day, this is an incredible feat to say the least, where did people get this kind of talent to do what they did?

Talk about a Master...
                The builder didn't have television. Imagine what we all could do if we got rid of them!
                Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Originally posted by Beazld View Post
                  The builder didn't have television. Imagine what we all could do if we got rid of them!
                  Or Internet Machinsts forums

I wonder did he built that before or after he was committed the insane asylum?
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I wonder if there is any record of how long it took to create?

Comment

The little fart! can write better than I can!

Tom M.

Comment

Wow, that is just impressive. The mechanism looks so detailed and nicely assembled

Comment

The video of the Pierre Jaquet-Droz writer is taken from the recent BBC4 documentary "Mechanical Marvels" by Professor Simon Schaffer.

It charts the development of automata ,showing items from the likes of Vaucanson and Jaquet-Droz , and the mechanical turk chess automaton. Rob

Comment

Exactly!
                            I don't have or watch TV, not a fan of movies, but I have noticed my productivity goes way up when the internet goes down...

Comment

They also didn't have cars or satellites.
                              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X