No announcement yet.

collet angles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andy, looks like a DT, or double taper collet.
    See this
    http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/DT_Collet.html

Angles mean little in specs for tapers, for two reasons.
    Remember these are mostly age old specifications and they didn't have CMM machines 100 years ago
    Most angle measuring instruments or tools are too broad or are NOT sensitive enough to measure precise matching tapers.
    Its like using a ruler to measure .001" dimensions
    For example: Tapered bores are easily measured with standard instruments for the past 150 years, and using several different methods can confirm the actual taper.

Physical tapers are measured to the fourth decimal place.
    The tangent of 1 degree is .017" per inch , so you would need to read to 1/170 th of a degree to match that level of precision.
    If you had a Angle vernier dial, you could only do 1/17th of a degree, or 10 times less accurate.
    To get an idea on this, note that some tapers are expressed in inches per foot, like .125" per foot- far superior to angular dimensions.
    Also realize that today, we talk about decimal degrees....not used until recently with the digital revolution.
    In the old days, it was degrees, hours, and minutes........ Can you imagine reading the taper at 3 degrees,27 min,21 seconds- Much easier to say .0604" per inch

Rich
    Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
      Andy, looks like a DT, or double taper collet.
      See this
      http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/DT_Collet.html
      Rich

Thats what I was told many times while searching for the right collets for my closer. But if you look at my collet the taper is the same on both sides, the collet can be flipped around and used either way.
      Andy

Comment

You might be looking at DA or double angle collets. I'm not familiar with a DT spec, but I've seen one of those collets before and it's noticeably different than a DA.

Originally posted by vpt View Post
        Thats what I was told many times while searching for the right collets for my closer. But if you look at my collet the taper is the same on both sides, the collet can be flipped around and used either way.
        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
          Angles mean little in specs for tapers, for two reasons.
          Remember these are mostly age old specifications and they didn't have CMM machines 100 years ago
          Most angle measuring instruments or tools are too broad or are NOT sensitive enough to measure precise matching tapers.
          Its like using a ruler to measure .001" dimensions...........
          I think this is more true when measuring morse, jarno or B&S sorts of tapers.... small taper angles.

Many collets have a much steeper taper, such as the 12 deg for a 3C, or 10 deg for a 5C. Those are not the same sort of problem to measure as the shallow tapers. And the consequences of being wrong by a hair are less drastic.

Besides.... these collets are SPECIFIED by an angle.... and the information as to the angle in degrees is a heck of a lot better than a raw guess, or no information at all as to the intent.
          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Working...
          X