Sebastian lathes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sebastian lathes

A Sebastian lathe followed me home the other day. I haven't learned much about the lathe. A few guys responded to my PM's with a little info. It's a 16" x 72". Has a 6 hp motor. serial # K5099R. A aluminum tag on the headstock is stamped 49 which I assume is 1949 build date? Just looking for a someone else with the same or similar machine to compare notes. I see no major issues other than a couple of broken handles on main motor engage lever and its dirty. This is a solid old machine with lots of potential. Thanks in advance for any help.
    thanks
    jesse

I sent you info on lathes.co.UK that had info on them, any help?

Comment

My first lathe was a 12 x 36 (I think) Sebastian. It was a really good machine. I don't remember a lot about it but I do know it was accurate and solid. My only problem with it was the slow rpms. It was the same speeds as Logan, South Bend, Atlas or any other from that era. I only sold it to get something newer that would spin up faster.
      Kansas City area

Comment

Thanks Flylo
        No they do not have much on the later gearhead Sebastians. A little info on Gold Seals. Apparently this is one of the last true Sebastians made by Sheldon before they made a Sheldon/Sebastian lathe.
        thanks

Comment

This one is bigger. 16 x 72. Yes it has limited speed but we have a 12" Logan Powermatic for smaller parts. This will replace our 16" SB conehead lathe. Good to hear your first lathe was a good one.

thanks
          jesse

Comment

YMMV but there have been one or two sellers on EBay listing Sebastian lathe manuals...took a really quick look but could only find the war lathe advertisements...

Comment

Those production lathe Sebastians look like nice machines.

There are a lot of little-known brands with good heavy-duty machines. Sebastian, Springfield, and many others. If you can move them, often much cheaper and you get more than with the hobby-type Atlas and Southbend.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Sebastian

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                Those production lathe Sebastians look like nice machines.

There are a lot of little-known brands with good heavy-duty machines. Sebastian, Springfield, and many others. If you can move them, often much cheaper and you get more than with the hobby-type Atlas and Southbend.
                This is a quality piece of history. I have a farm shop at home so the bigger stuff suits my needs anyway. No problem moving something this size. We have a smaller lathe also so it works out good. Cleaning the lathe and working on a bigger phase converter to power it up. The SB has a 3 hp motor so that VFD won't work. Plan is to sell the 16" conehead SB and buy what we need. In the meantime cleaning away and searching for a few answers. The machine is in very good shape. I just like to know as much about my machines as possible before tackling issues.

thanks
                jesse

Comment

I had a Sebastian 12" about a dozen years ago. I wrote to the company asking about parts, which were actually available. Had to sell it when moving, but enjoyed it until then.
                  "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                    I had a Sebastian 12" about a dozen years ago. I wrote to the company asking about parts, which were actually available. Had to sell it when moving, but enjoyed it until then.
                    cool
                    sorry you had to part with it. Did you upgrade later after the move?

Comment

Working...
                    X