Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GunKote as a finish for your homemade tooling

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GunKote as a finish for your homemade tooling

    I have used Gunkote for finishing firearms for a few years now, but I had not tried it on anything else. Awhile back I made my version of the diamond tool holder and I thought I would try coating it with the last little bit I had in a can and see how it held up. I have been pleased with the results so I thought I would share it with the crew here. I have used this tool for a few months now on a regular basis as you can see it still looks good. I am not hard on my tooling so bear that in mind and I typically clean everything up after each project. Oil and solvents don’t affect the finish and that’s what made me think it might be good in this application. For the pictures I cleaned it up with some acetone and reassembled it. You can see the spots where the screws clamped down on in the QCTP holder but that’s about it. I’ll let you be the judge. Oh….and no I am not affiliated with Gunkote in anyway.






  • #2
    Where can you get Gun Kote? Is it easy to use? I've been using some tool black from McMaster Carr with fair success, but I'm always open for better ideas. Bob.

    Comment


    • #3
      Looks like it was never used!
      Andy

      Comment


      • #4
        http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1150.aspx

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bob Fisher View Post
          Where can you get Gun Kote? Is it easy to use? I've been using some tool black from McMaster Carr with fair success, but I'm always open for better ideas. Bob.

          If you have done other coatings I would consider it easy.
          Sandblast the part
          Put the paint in a sprayer (I use a cheap air brush)
          Spray it on and heat in oven @ 325 for 60 minutes
          And you are done!


          I use the original version(2300)in the link

          http://www.kgcoatings.com/protective...inal-gun-kote/


          Originally posted by vpt View Post
          Looks like it was never used!
          that's what I was so impressed with. Once I cleaned it up I couldn't believe how well it held up. I knew it was some tuff stuff from using it on guns, but tooling is a different story.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think this is the same stuff but it's much cheaper at the other link

            Comment


            • #7
              Sounds similar to powder coat in a liquid carrier. I've done that using alcohol for an even coat on irregular shapes when a regular powder gun won't cover in deep recesses. I've also used a paste mix for touch-ups on chipped or damaged powder coating. The setup and procedure is the same. In fact, it works so well I may retire my powder coat guns.

              Comment


              • #8
                The Gun Kote is a great idea but the coolest thing is the tool holder itself. Beautiful job sir..AAAA+

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by atomarc View Post
                  ... the tool holder itself. Beautiful job sir..AAAA+
                  +1. Would you show us how you made it? Thanks.

                  http://www.kgcoatings.com/

                  Fair disclosure: Mr KG Gunkote is a personal friend of mine.

                  He sent my brother - who owns a converted salt-water trawler some of his industrial coating for torture-testing. The stuff really works. We had a bare metal exterior surface on the boat that needed protection in a hurry, but - because of an incoming storm - no time to follow the recommended full surface preparation + spray + cure routine, so we just slapped the stuff on with a roller. Years later, it's still holding up much better than the adjacent "marine" paint, which was applied as its manufacturer directed. The KG part shows no rust, and the pained surface is badly pitted. Ever since, we are converts to KG coatings.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Theiskell View Post
                    I think this is the same stuff but it's much cheaper at the other link
                    That's an ongoing problem with the merican mass of what I refer to as "trust fund punks". When Frank was alive he barely marked his margins up. When lil Chuckie took over Buck Knives he immediately headed for China. lil boy Ruger isn't 1/10 the designer the old man was but....the list goes on and on.
                    Just hush up and pay your taxes.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Euph0ny View Post
                      +1. Would you show us how you made it? Thanks.

                      http://www.kgcoatings.com/

                      Fair disclosure: Mr KG Gunkote is a personal friend of mine.

                      He sent my brother - who owns a converted salt-water trawler some of his industrial coating for torture-testing. The stuff really works. We had a bare metal exterior surface on the boat that needed protection in a hurry, but - because of an incoming storm - no time to follow the recommended full surface preparation + spray + cure routine, so we just slapped the stuff on with a roller. Years later, it's still holding up much better than the adjacent "marine" paint, which was applied as its manufacturer directed. The KG part shows no rust, and the pained surface is badly pitted. Ever since, we are converts to KG coatings.
                      The tool holder is really quite easy to make. This is the third one I have made and once you get the set up down they are simple. I use my swivel vise set at 12* and then a second small machinist vise tilted at 12* clamped in the big vise. Hold the part in the small vise and mill the angled face of the tool holder flat and then without moving the holder, mill a ¼” slot to hold the HSS cutter. The rest is up to you and making it look “pretty” to you. If you don’t have one I would suggest giving it a shot. I use it for everything except hard steels and it produces great finishes. There is lots of information on the web about them if you Google “tangential tool holder” and “Diamond tool holder”

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tilaran View Post
                        That's an ongoing problem with the merican mass of what I refer to as "trust fund punks". When Frank was alive he barely marked his margins up. When lil Chuckie took over Buck Knives he immediately headed for China. lil boy Ruger isn't 1/10 the designer the old man was but....the list goes on and on.
                        Just hush up and pay your taxes.
                        Better hold onto those old Buck Bros. wood chiesels, especially the one were the stamping is a little light, speculation says they're harder than those of the usual production run. Most everything good we made here in the US is now being offshored for a little more profit.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Theiskell View Post
                          The tool holder is really quite easy to make....
                          Thanks!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Theiskell View Post
                            The tool holder is really quite easy to make. This is the third one I have made and once you get the set up down they are simple. I use my swivel vise set at 12* and then a second small machinist vise tilted at 12* clamped in the big vise. Hold the part in the small vise and mill the angled face of the tool holder flat and then without moving the holder, mill a ¼” slot to hold the HSS cutter. The rest is up to you and making it look “pretty” to you. If you don’t have one I would suggest giving it a shot. I use it for everything except hard steels and it produces great finishes. There is lots of information on the web about them if you Google “tangential tool holder” and “Diamond tool holder”
                            Thanks for that advice. This evening i did just that and now am the proud owner of a tangential tool holder.
                            "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Davidhcnc View Post
                              Thanks for that advice. This evening i did just that and now am the proud owner of a tangential tool holder.



                              Hi Davidhcnc ... in 2009 you posted that you had contacted "Mr Gun Kote" in the UK to obtain Gun Kote ..Would you please let me know who that is ..the Gun Kote will be perfect for some bits I want to redo on my okuma lathe.

                              tia Rob

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X