No announcement yet.

Quick question re : e-clip grooves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I only had a few to do I'd just slow the lathe down and grab a screw slot file.

Comment

Schoolie--Yep--That's what he tried to sell me.
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I picked up my e-clips today. They are 0.024" thick. I have a hacksaw blade that measures .028" thick.--A match made in heaven!!! Does anybody have a good suggestion for a holder? If not I can blodge one out of a chunk of mild steel.
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Well Dang!!! Why didn't somebody tell me how easy this was?-Wait!!---Maybe they did---!!!! This is a really hokey set up, kinda like running with a pointed stick---but it worked great. I put what I considered a reasonable cutting edge with about 10 degrees clearance rake on the hacksaw blade, squeezed it in behind a short piece of cutting tool and ran the screw thats on the far end of the holder down onto a double thickness of hacksaw blade so it wouldn't slip backwards. Cut the dandiest e-clip groove you ever seen. Don't try this without adult help----Don't try this at home---Yada Yada Yada--

Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I never would have thought to use an old hacksaw blade but it looks like it filled the bill quite nicely though. Good to see it worked out.

Like some of the others had suggested though I've always used HSS bits ground to suit whatever width and profile I need whether it be for a snap ring or O ring. The two pictured below have a width of .020" and .055". The groove in the 1 3/8" shaft measures .035".
            The larger of the two tool bits also comes in handy as a cut-off tool for tubing.

Last edited by Willy; 10-10-2013, 12:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
            X