Quick question re : e-clip grooves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question re : e-clip grooves

I have some 1/4" diameter crs shafting that I want to cut a groove in for an e-clip. The e-clip specs call for a .029" wide x .020" deep slot. Can I buy HSS tooling to cut a slot that narrow, and if so, where? Remember--I'm up here in the frozen North in Canada.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Just grind a lathe tool bit to that size. Simple, cheap, and quick.

Comment

Brain,

Are saw blades illegal in Canada? I went to http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...%20saw%20blade were lots of blades are available, including a 0.030 - close enough?

But when I used the same search on Amazon Canada, I got http://www.amazon.ca/Steampunk-Gear-...ting+saw+blade

Weird! Can you order from Amazon US?
      Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Make a simple holder for a short piece of all hard HSS hand hacksaw blade. Grind top rake and front clearance and use like a parting tool.

The blades are about 0.022" thick so you can easily make the 0.029" wide groove.

I find it's a handy tool for a lot of small work.

Comment

Nah, we have sawblades here, but I want a tool that fits in my lathe.
          Brian Rupnow

Comment

You should be able to grind a HSS tool for that in about five minutes, ten if you are a newb . It's free, gets the job done and you won't have to wait for it to be delivered. I have numerous different sizes that I've ground over the years and if I don't have the exact size I need, I just modify one to suit or grind another. Don't make it any longer than necessary and make sure both sides have a slight clearance angle. Also use lots of heavy cutting oil and take it easy on the feed.

Tom
            Tom's Techniques

Comment

Brian, I am sure that Arthur Warner would be only too happy to grind a grooving tool for you. When you have paid for it in your hot little hand and grooved that shaft, it will be the most expensive piece of work that you have done since you bought your gear cutters! Go to Busy Bee and buy a 1/4" bit for less than $3.00 and you will have enough material to get it wrong seventeen times befor you get it right. I thought that is what machining is all about!
              Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Duffy--You're right. I should have known that, but I'm going absolutely ape$hit with a new engineering contract and I just stopped for 20 seconds to put up this post, so I'd be ready to do some of MY work after supper!!!
                Brian Rupnow

Comment

Brian, every tool bit has two ends. It's only .0.20 - 0.030 deep
                  H12721

Comment

Why not just a quick modification on the end of a tapered type cutoff tool?

Comment

Originally posted by cameron View Post
                      Make a simple holder for a short piece of all hard HSS hand hacksaw blade. Grind top rake and front clearance and use like a parting tool.

The blades are about 0.022" thick so you can easily make the 0.029" wide groove.

I find it's a handy tool for a lot of small work.
                      cameron - You took the words right out of my mouth ... word for word.

Comment

Kaiser Thin-Bits are available in HSS inserts and carbide inserts.
                        They are made for this. They are the plug-and-play answer.

--Doozer
                        DZER

Comment

Okay--I may have wimped out. I'm into a major engineering design contract that come along at a perfect time to shore up a rather puny year end. I called over to my tool supplier and he said that he has carbide grooving tools for small grooves, but they have a 1/4" round shank.--for $35.00 It sounds like a weird shank, and I may have to cobble up a holder, but I told him to bring one in for me. I have to go over to that end of town later this week anyways to pick up the e-clips. Sometimes I hate the fact that I live in one end of Barrie, and all the toolshops are at the other end.
                          Brian Rupnow

Comment

Okay--I'm back to grinding my own grooving tool. I went over to the tool shop today to see the grooving tool they had ordered in. The kid on the desk must have been smoking rope. It was a grooving tool alright, but the cutting tip was at 90 degrees to the shank!!! It must have been a grooving tool for some kind of milling machine.
                            Brian Rupnow

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                              but the cutting tip was at 90 degrees to the shank!!!.
                              Could it have been an ID grooving tool by chance?

The left tool holder has two hand ground o-ring groove tools. Top tool is for ID grooves, bottom tool is for OD.

Link to bigger picture

Comment

Working...
                              X