Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willy
    replied
    I never would have thought to use an old hacksaw blade but it looks like it filled the bill quite nicely though. Good to see it worked out.

Like some of the others had suggested though I've always used HSS bits ground to suit whatever width and profile I need whether it be for a snap ring or O ring. The two pictured below have a width of .020" and .055". The groove in the 1 3/8" shaft measures .035".
    The larger of the two tool bits also comes in handy as a cut-off tool for tubing.

Last edited by Willy; 10-10-2013, 12:57 AM. Reason: Spelling

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Well Dang!!! Why didn't somebody tell me how easy this was?-Wait!!---Maybe they did---!!!! This is a really hokey set up, kinda like running with a pointed stick---but it worked great. I put what I considered a reasonable cutting edge with about 10 degrees clearance rake on the hacksaw blade, squeezed it in behind a short piece of cutting tool and ran the screw thats on the far end of the holder down onto a double thickness of hacksaw blade so it wouldn't slip backwards. Cut the dandiest e-clip groove you ever seen. Don't try this without adult help----Don't try this at home---Yada Yada Yada--

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    I picked up my e-clips today. They are 0.024" thick. I have a hacksaw blade that measures .028" thick.--A match made in heaven!!! Does anybody have a good suggestion for a holder? If not I can blodge one out of a chunk of mild steel.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Schoolie--Yep--That's what he tried to sell me.

Leave a comment:

• Tilaran
    replied
    If I only had a few to do I'd just slow the lathe down and grab a screw slot file.

Leave a comment:

• schoolie
    replied
    Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    but the cutting tip was at 90 degrees to the shank!!!.
    Could it have been an ID grooving tool by chance?

The left tool holder has two hand ground o-ring groove tools. Top tool is for ID grooves, bottom tool is for OD.

Link to bigger picture

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Okay--I'm back to grinding my own grooving tool. I went over to the tool shop today to see the grooving tool they had ordered in. The kid on the desk must have been smoking rope. It was a grooving tool alright, but the cutting tip was at 90 degrees to the shank!!! It must have been a grooving tool for some kind of milling machine.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Okay--I may have wimped out. I'm into a major engineering design contract that come along at a perfect time to shore up a rather puny year end. I called over to my tool supplier and he said that he has carbide grooving tools for small grooves, but they have a 1/4" round shank.--for $35.00 It sounds like a weird shank, and I may have to cobble up a holder, but I told him to bring one in for me. I have to go over to that end of town later this week anyways to pick up the e-clips. Sometimes I hate the fact that I live in one end of Barrie, and all the toolshops are at the other end.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Kaiser Thin-Bits are available in HSS inserts and carbide inserts.
    They are made for this. They are the plug-and-play answer.

--Doozer

Leave a comment:

• DATo
    replied
    Originally posted by cameron View Post
    Make a simple holder for a short piece of all hard HSS hand hacksaw blade. Grind top rake and front clearance and use like a parting tool.

The blades are about 0.022" thick so you can easily make the 0.029" wide groove.

I find it's a handy tool for a lot of small work.
    cameron - You took the words right out of my mouth ... word for word.

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    Why not just a quick modification on the end of a tapered type cutoff tool?

Leave a comment:

• h12721
    replied
    Brian, every tool bit has two ends. It's only .0.20 - 0.030 deep
    H12721

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Duffy--You're right. I should have known that, but I'm going absolutely ape$hit with a new engineering contract and I just stopped for 20 seconds to put up this post, so I'd be ready to do some of MY work after supper!!!

Leave a comment:

• Duffy
    replied
    Brian, I am sure that Arthur Warner would be only too happy to grind a grooving tool for you. When you have paid for it in your hot little hand and grooved that shaft, it will be the most expensive piece of work that you have done since you bought your gear cutters! Go to Busy Bee and buy a 1/4" bit for less than $3.00 and you will have enough material to get it wrong seventeen times befor you get it right. I thought that is what machining is all about!

Leave a comment:

• TGriffin
    replied
    You should be able to grind a HSS tool for that in about five minutes, ten if you are a newb . It's free, gets the job done and you won't have to wait for it to be delivered. I have numerous different sizes that I've ground over the years and if I don't have the exact size I need, I just modify one to suit or grind another. Don't make it any longer than necessary and make sure both sides have a slight clearance angle. Also use lots of heavy cutting oil and take it easy on the feed.

Tom

Leave a comment:

Working...
X