Surprises, surprises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprises, surprises

You never know what you will find under all the old grease that a P.O. may have pumped into (and all over) machinery parts.

I decided today was a decent day to clean up the countershaft for a project machine, since I had some time. I pulled the shaft and bearings out of the countershaft frame, and found these.... Actually, the pictures were taken AFTER some of the grease and swarf were removed.

After some scraping, washing in strong purple cleaner, and soaking in WD-40, followed by scraping/cleaning, washing out with thin oil, and pumping quite a lot of new grease through the zerks, until clean grease came out everywhere, I found these.... A pair of Fafnir spherical mount shielded ball bearings.

They seem to be OK, which is good, because they look expensive, and I am not at all sure they are even still made. I have not looked, I figured to work these over and see if they could be rejuvenated regardless.

We bought some similar but somewhat larger ones (Japanese origin) at work, and those were well over two hundred bucks each. They were no special class, just "ordinary", too. I wasn't happy about that idea, but after the "treatment", all seems well for now.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Interesting, I have never quite seen bearings like that.

Cool.

--Doozer
    DZER

Comment

Those are cartridge insert bearings. The bearing is separate from the cast iron cartridge and is replaceable with a common pillow block insert bearing for a reasonable cost. The complete unit is expensive, the bearing inserts are much more economical.

I don't know who is making what anymore, but it is a standard lock ring bearing, similar to these;

http://catalog.amibearings.com/categ...crew-locking-7
      Jim H.

Comment

Asahi is the Japanese company whose parts we bought. Only VERY poor information was available from Asahi.

The parts shown in the link are the whole part, but only one of them was "somewhat" similar. Diameter was right, but the holders might need modification to accept them. I didn't look at prices.

I would think the inserts would not be in any way standard... except for a particular manufacturer. Could be wrong. These are shielded, most I saw in catalogs are not. They would have to be.

Thanks for the info..... Could be handy if these turn out not to be as OK as they seem. I have no idea if compatible ones a reavailable from whoever bought Fafnir. I did see them, or something like them, in a Fafnir catalog, which put the spherical OD at 52mm.

The units I have are marked with a patent date of 1925..... Clearly not a new development....

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

These are run of the mill inserts, available at almost any bearing shop. Check ID as both 1.000" and 25MM are very common, both fitting into the same holder. Try SKF YET 205 (25mm) or YET 205-100 (1.000") or check website. The eccentric lock collar is the key and if used should be turned snugly in the direction of shaft rotation before tightening set screws. Don't use eccentric lock collars if shaft reverses as they will definitely come loose.

Peter

Comment

This countershaft MOST DEFINITELY reverses..... it has a motor reversing switch.

Presumably there is a type which is similar, but is shielded, and does NOT come loose if reversed.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Should have qualified "if used with lock collars". These bearings are available in at least 20 different configurations of locks, load ratings, lubrication, seals, fits - maybe I missed a few. Older snowmobiles -70's used them on the clutch jackshaft and drive.

Comment

It definitely uses the eccentric lock collars, I have verified that.

it definitely reverses, the motor has a reversing switch. Or rather, it did, the switch failed, but I will fix or replace it, and it will still be reversed.

So it is made in a way that cannot be reversed, but it is going to BE reversed, so evidently it will have to just deal with that situation.

presumably there are versions that do not rely on the crazy eccentric collars.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

The bearing inserts are common as far as I know, the cartridges will vary somewhat in dimensions between manufacturers. I would suspect the bearings have another century or so of life in them by their appearance as long as they are lubricated. The application is light duty for them.

I would not be concerned about shaft rotation having an effect on the eccentric lock collars. Did they show any sign of looseness when you dismantled the assembly?
                  Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum View Post
                    I would not be concerned about shaft rotation having an effect on the eccentric lock collars. Did they show any sign of looseness when you dismantled the assembly?
                    You saw the pictures, right? How would I have known?

They were so gummed up with gook that I didn't even know there were separate collars until later when they had been cleaned!

The issue isn't really lifetime, but noise. The machine has a cabinet base, and if the bearings are noisy, the base will be a huge sounding board.

So it's good to know that the inserts can probably be found.

I don't really know what effect there would be if I didn't even put ON the collars.... likely none, except that I need something to prevent end-wise motion. The collars would lock the inner race to the shaft, but so would other means.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Don't know about your side of the pond but we can get these inserts with two grub screws at 90 degrees to one another.
                      Should be available over there as bearing are pretty much universal.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

At's wha a fig'rd...

Gotta see if these are still noisy before I worry about it.

Thanks. Had no idea these things were that common.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

A handy chart-

http://www.albearings.com/eCatalog.php?c=elcib
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thank you.

So, What's the deal with the crazy off-center lock ring ?

What on earth is the reason for THAT?

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

When installed and done right they hold really well.I've had some that were locked in so tight they had to be sliced off with a grinder and a zip wheel.
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X