South Bend spindle to chuck connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend spindle to chuck connection

I am wanting to put my 4 jaw on my SB Fourteen. The spindle has a taper that locates the chuck and three pins around the taper with excentrics to lock it in place. Is this a D1-3?

This should help you figure it out...

http://www.lathes.co.uk/spindlenose/spindlenoses.pdf
    Keith

Comment

Nothing in the link looks close, but thanks for trying.
      I did some looking on the net and I think(hope) I am correct because I ordered an adapter form CDCO

Comment

Does the spindle have the pins? Or are they on the chuck? On the D series (camlock) chucks the pins are on the chuck, the locking cams in the spindle...
        Keith

Comment

If you posted a pic it would help.

Comment

The pins are on the chuck.

I have seen two lathes on ebay referred to as,
            CAM LOCK SPINDLE NOSE 3" - D1

Comment

It sounds to be a D 1 chuck, but a D1-3 is too small for a 14" lathe. It is more likely to be a D1-4 or D1-5 spindle. You can check dimensions here;

http://www.workholding.com/BISON-SPI...2-D1-SPECS.htm
              Jim H.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.
                I actually got a box from Brown today and it has the adapter from CDCO and it looks to be exactly what I need.....I'll know shortly after I get home to tonight(after a hair cut).

Next will be the process to mount the chuck.Correct me if I am wrong but I want to mount the adapter on the lathe,turn it so it is a very snug fit in the register of the chuck,face it to true it up and then bore the bolt holes.

Comment

That is the correct procedure. Make VERY sure the adapter is cleaned of ALL cosmolene, dirt, nicks, etc. and the spindle nose too, before mounting.

Comment

It would be good to make index marks to assure that the back plate is installed in the same position each time. With a new back plate I reinstall it several times and rap it soundly with a rawhide mallet before machining.
                    Byron Boucher
                    Burnet, TX

Comment

Just screwing in the locating pins with bare hands I saw it needs cleaned well.

I had thought about index marks and have added that to the plan. I will also smooth up and rough edges and use you mallet idea.

I attempt to take some pics of the process......I say attempt because I get going and don't think about documenting the steps.

Comment

Clean both the pin and hole thoroughly then liberally apply the good copper anti- seize and work the pin in and out several times. I adjust the pin so that the cam tightens down with about 3/4 engagement. This take a little fiddling but things cinch up better this way. There is a lot of variation in the quality of the back plates but the mating taper has all ways been ok.
                        Byron Boucher
                        Burnet, TX

Comment

Working...
                        X