5C Spin Indexer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5C Spin Indexer

Hi Guys, just a notice to let you know Tom Lipton , Oxtoolco on YouTube is making
    some videos on the 5C Spin Indexer to index 127 indexes and any reasonable number
    you would like to make. I imagine there are a lot of you who have 5C Spin Indexes.
    There are only about 7 parts to make and they are all easy. So join Tom on
    You Tube i think you will enjoy his videos.
    Also would like to say I just ordered from McMaster Carr tonight and the order was
    processed , so it looks like McMaster Carr is shipping to Canada now. I tried making
    this post earlier and it never showed I hope i am doing it right this time.
    Wayne
    wayne101

Hey my eastern Canuck brother....
    Thanks for the tip!
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I don't understand the U-tube bit. how about a link?
      I do know what the bit is about but don't have a clue how to go about looking for a particular one.
      ...lew...

Comment

Welcome Wayne101 from another Canuck.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_VO9...yjrKT4OZne-JNw

try this

Peter
          I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

As a subscriber to Cutting Tool Engineering Magazine where Tom Lipton has a monthly column dealing with the aspects of manual machining in the modern machine shop, I'm sure I'll enjoy this video later today when I get time to relax.
            Welcome Wayne, and thanks to Peter for the link!
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by ptjw7uk View Post
              Thanks. Watched the whole thing. He needs a bit of "production" help. :-)
              One big problem I see with the design: The index pin does NOT move along a radius of the index plate.
              thus the angle of the second and third row of hole/holes is not the same as the first. ie. there will be
              an error in the spacing of second set (and last) from the first set. I havent done the math but from
              the arc for swing of the pin it could be significant. I see a possible (it's going to difficult) way to
              compensate for this. The pin would have to be moved the correct amount along the arm to compensate
              for error. It would be a very small amount and would require a wider arm with three pin locations.
              ...lew...

Comment

Maybe I missed it, but you still have to be able to divide 127 to make the plate.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bjmh46 View Post
                  Maybe I missed it, but you still have to be able to divide 127 to make the plate.

Bob
                  I think the idea is to only have to do it once. But I wonder just how accurate the initial division has to
                  be. I don't remember what he used (I'm not about to go back and suffer through all the BS to find out)
                  but I get 2 deg, 50 min. 4.7244.... sec. :-) per step. So depending on how fine the adjustment on the
                  dividing head used there could be an appreciable error buildup around the circle.
                  So, how many decimal places are actually in use by the manufacturers that make 127 tooth gears????
                  ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by bjmh46 View Post

Bob
                    I think that this is just the first in a series & that more instructions are coming.

Here is my idea of how to deal with the question of eliminating errors when changing to different hole circles. This shows two possibilities for a mount to be screwed at either end depending on which end you wish to mount the index plate. It shows a .750 wide groove & .375 slot at a 20 degree angle for a sliding block that would have the index pin in it.

Of course the slot has to be on a radial line from the spindle center & the siding block has to fit snugly. None of these details are cast in stone so anyone who wants to try this should be able to figure out any other details.

Last edited by jhe.1973; 10-26-2013, 05:58 PM.
                    Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me

Comment

Yes- the swinging index arm will cause an error. This could be accounted for by offsetting each subsequent circle of holes, or by making the index arm as close to tangental to the circle, or by redesigning it to use a watts linkage

allan

Comment

Originally posted by wayne101 View Post
                        Also would like to say I just ordered from McMaster Carr tonight and the order was
                        processed , so it looks like McMaster Carr is shipping to Canada now.

Holy **** - are you serious? This changes everything! Please tell us whether or not this stuff shows up!

Comment

Peter
                          This guy that made the video is a waist of time he could cut the video down by 2/3 if he would get organized. The member here did a much better job with
                          modifying the spinn indexer. Oh well some just like to be on video

Comment

Originally posted by isaac338 View Post
                            Holy **** - are you serious? This changes everything! Please tell us whether or not this stuff shows up!
                            If you had read the entire thread, you would have found that they canceled his order the following day.
                            James

Comment

This should be more accurate:

Note: Only somewhat to scale

Comment

Working...
                              X