Tornado shelter from 500-gallon propane tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tornado shelter from 500-gallon propane tank

I finally got some pictures of the finished tornado shelter a friend made out of a 500-gallon propane tank. About a year ago, I cut the end off the tank, and welded on some tabs to attach the wood framing for the door.

I would like for the door be a bit heavier, but he didn't ask me.

I think my wife would rather risk a tornado than share space with a lizard.
    Last edited by winchman; 10-25-2013, 07:50 PM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Is it bolted to the ground? Where are the seat belts?
    Andy

Comment

It's secured to the ground with several mobile home tie-down straps and screw-in anchors.
      Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

I think I'd add a door or two somewhere that opens inward. Where's the ventilation?

Comment

Looks like a coffin to me.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
            Looks like a coffin to me.
            That was my thought, too... once the storm is gone, just lift it up and bury it.

Comment

Looks like defeat has been plucked from the jaws of victory to me, cut the steel bottom out and replace with wood?, i would have opted to use the bit cut out as a door, and bury it sounds good, concrete preferably, i think its just for humping in private myself, best thing for it to, bit of padding wouldn't go amiss, or how about wheels and a tow hitch! Lol, a good effort but tornadoes will love it.
              Mark

Comment

I'd get rid of that tree and also fit a steel door and some form of wind deflection beside it , otherwise fit portholes and pad the insides , flying might be good but the landing could be rough.
                Michael

Comment

Probably work if it was mostly buried?

Comment

Mobile home tie down straps...reassuring as tornados seem to aim for mobile home parks anyway...
                    Joe

Comment

I don't think I would build it for a friend, but I wish some of my enemies would ask for one.

Comment

where d you put the bait for the Bear?
                        h12721

Comment

Imagine if you're in that thing and a tornado comes along and picks it up- it would be the ride of your life When it lets go, it will impact the ground somewhere and sometime- you won't know as you're just along for the ride and can't see out any window. You'll probably get mashed inside when it hits.

Of course if it's anchored such that it won't take off, it would offer protection from flying debris.

I wonder what it smells like inside?
                          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Ha, I was thinking the same thing - a box of doughnuts and you have all the bear you want :-)

Comment

An Oklahoma Time Machine???? One good F-5 and you're off to see the Wizard...........

Comment

Working...
                              X