D1-5 What does the audiance think ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1-5 What does the audiance think ?

On my new lathe it's fitted with a D1-5 spindle to allow that 2 1/4" bore down the spindle.

Max size chuck in 3 jaw and 4 jaw mode is 8".

Now given that 8" chucks are very common on D1-4 and I even ran one on the CVA with D1 -3 fitting it's not excessive on this machine.

For reference D1-4 has three securing pins at 5/8" diameter.
    D1-5 jumps to 6 pins at 3/4" diameter.

Given that this machine isn't going to be a production hogging machine, more a toolroom application machine and will see a lot of chuck changes in it's life I have virtually made my mind up to blank 3 equi-spaced cams off and just use 3 of the 6 pins to save time.

As I say D1-4 happily runs 8" chucks on three 5/8" pins so why can't this one run 3 on 3/4" pins ?

Can supply pictures of the spindle nose and back of the faceplate tomorrow if needed, half past dark here and that workshop is haunted.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I'm running a D1-4 spindle on a 14 x 40 Acer lathe. One of my main chucks is an 8" 6 jaw that weighs about 80 pounds. No problems. I ran the same chuck on a 12 x 40 Chinese lathe for years with no problems. I would just go ahead and pull every other pin out of the chuck and not worry about it. My spindle bore is 1-9/16. I wish it was 2-1/4 (or bigger).
    Kansas City area

Comment

More pins engaged should mean better locating accuracy of the chuck and less chance of the chuck shifting around when in use. If a lathe has a six pins, use them.

Comment

The chuck on D series spindles is located by the spindle nose. The pins are simply a clamping element to hold the chuck to the spindle.
        Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
          I have virtually made my mind up to blank 3 equi-spaced cams off and just use 3 of the 6 pins to save time.

As I say D1-4 happily runs 8" chucks on three 5/8" pins so why can't this one run 3 on 3/4" pins ?

half past dark here and that workshop is haunted.
          I think You'll be just fine with three pins, as long as ya remember to tighten them.
          I don't completely understand the "blank off" comment though, seems it would be easier to remove three pins from all the faceplates and be done with it.
          As far as the workshop being haunted, I thought it was You and not the workshop that the ghost of Bridgeport was after.

Steve

Comment

On my new lathe it's fitted with a D1-5 spindle to allow that 2 1/4" bore down the spindle.

D1-5 and D1-6 mounts both provide 6 holes. However, as D1-6 appliances are available in 3, 4, & 6 pins, the same practice would seem to apply to D1-5 appliances (though there may not be any on the market with less than 6 pins?).

It appears that D1-6 reduced pin-sets are used only with smaller appliances.
            Last edited by tlfamm; 11-05-2013, 06:57 PM.

Comment

How many HP is the lathe? I have taken some very heavy cuts on my 10EE with the D1-3 and have never had a problem and this is with the 20+ peak HP servo drive.

Comment

Well you see some old heavy US manual lathes with 20+hp with D1-6 spindles...
                Precision takes time.

Comment

In case no one else has mentioned it John ... that lathe is beautiful !!
                  John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
                    How many HP is the lathe? I have taken some very heavy cuts on my 10EE with the D1-3 and have never had a problem and this is with the 20+ peak HP servo drive.
                    Either two HP or 3 max @440 v
                    As I say it's more a hobby type small shop lathe than a big jobbing lathe.

Only ordered the big spindle because it was literally only a few $$ more and thought it would be more useful

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John, don't worry about it. If you follow good working practice and stand at the tailstock end, the chucks just fly over your shoulder.
                      Dave

Comment

Shouldn't it be a lovely shade of green? What brand? Bob.

Comment

I have a 13" Harrison with D1-5. The only problem is that D1-5 is not as common as D1-4, so not as much spindle fixturing around.

Patrick

Comment

Boy what a jump. so does the D1-5 have 10 times the hp and torque?

Comment

You will be ok with the 3 3/4” pins and 8” chucks. Sure wish I had a 2 1/4" bore. You are probably going to miss the swing up threader though.
                              Byron Boucher
                              Burnet, TX

Comment

Working...
                              X