Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a new old vise, maybe almost gloat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new old vise, maybe almost gloat...

The old Simplex bench vise that I have had around since I was a kid finally broke again. When I got it, it was missing the screw and there was a crack in the casting behind the fixed jaw. When I was in highschool I had a buddy that was taking machine shop at the trade school make me a new screw as a project. He did a nice job of it and I used it like that for a long time. About 20 years ago the crack behind the jaw grew and the piece popped off and got lost in a move. So when you tighten it up, the moving jaw drops and the jaw faces mis-align. I needed a vice for something at the time so I did a pretty marginal job of welding a scrap on there that has held up until a year ago. I kept figuring I would do a more proper job of fixing it, but happened on this interesting old vise on CL the other day. After a few days it was still posted, so i bought it. I have not seen one with this sort of tee-slotted underside to allow for sliding and swiveling. I cannot see any name or other markings on it, but might once it is cleaned up.

[Edited to remove nearly useless photos, larger ones below....]

OK, I did not get this for free, so maybe does not quite rise to the Tool Gloat level, maybe a microgloat or nanogloat. Paid 65 bucks for it, everything works smoothly and the jaws meet up pretty nicely when you crank it closed. Jaws are 4" wide and open a bit more than 6". Just a importantly, I thought it looked sort of cool. A bit grimy but I think it will clean up nicely and will live happily at the corner of my little welding and beating-on-stuff table. I might even paint it green.

I still think I may make a project of fixing the old Simplex. I figured I'd just replace it, but that seems like dumping an old friend at this point. A subject for a separate thread sometime soon perhaps.
    Last edited by alanganes; 11-07-2013, 09:24 PM.

Ok, got some pictures that you can actually see:

Again, I've never seen a vise with the base like this before. Any idea if this is a specific type of vise, or was this just an attempt at the proverbial "better mouse trap?"

Comment

Don't know, but would guess it an attempt at the better mouse trap. The sliding base could be handy on some jobs. It looks solid, and the maker provided a skinny handle which would bend before breaking the vise when someone put a cheater on it.
      Jim

Comment

An interesting vise design i have not seen before. A keeper for sure.

Comment

Nice vice! This call for a GIANT "YOU SUCK" I'll give you your money back if you cover shipping, just kidding.
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

I noticed the bent handle, I plan on trying to straighten it out as much as I can.

Yep flylo, I'm betting that just what you need is another vise. How many would this one make, 137?

Anyhow, I'm thinking I may make a little platform off one edge of my welding table for this to perch on. That way it will be able to swivel 360 degrees, hang over the edge or slide in to sit part way onto the table. I love having options!

Comment

Does your wife know how many & what kind of "vices" you have? LOL, mine neither.
              "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
              world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
              country, in easy stages."
              ~ James Madison

Comment

HA! My wife is as smart as she is observant. I've long since given up trying to hide stuff. Then again, I don't have a HANGER(!) to squirrel stuff away in...

Comment

Working...
                X