Diamond and CBN grinding wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diamond and CBN grinding wheels.

There was a post here a few days ago re: if you could identify the type of abrasive, diamond or CBN visually. I looked back a few pages and couldn't find it to respond. This site travels fast, its prolly buried further back.

It was a good question. Similar to the age old Q. Identifying mystery metal. Which I am also a fan of, mystery metal. We are Home Shop Machinist so we pick up what we can where we can. I GET the need to know what metal we scrounged. Im a scrounger.

So... With the abrasives? I used to think I could tell which one was diamond or CBN. CBN usually had a brownish color and the diamond had a bright or grey color (silver color). That was till I saw some others.

The basic determination of what you have on hand with the brown or grey is prolly gonna be the best off hand visual ident. I dont know of any physical ident like the spark test for mystery metal. For the super abrasives our resident in the know, Evan will provide more info.

I do have some samples from my shop to show. They are all identified from the manufacture with markings. The markings are norton, supercut, radiac, DFI, ASA and national diamond lab. There are a couple of pieces that are not though but I have docs for them also.

SO!!! To the visuals. Pics.

This is a foley-belsaw CBN blade. Its silver looking right? No brown.

Next up is a couple of cup abrasives. BOTH CBN. Look totally different.

These cups are CBN and diamond. I marked the diamond with a pink "D".

Here are some other blades in CBN and diamond. Again, the diamond is marked with the pink "D"
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

And last is the wheels more of you might see. The wheels for the carbide grinders.

Again, diamond is marked with the pink "D". The top row.

Comment

Goodness! You must do a lot of grinding. Thanks for the informative post. My grinder is not up to this level at all... I think I paid EUR 20 for it in an open-box sale at the local home improvement store. The wheels are probably some kind of Chinese concrete. When I ever get the tuit which will allow me to install my little Myford lathe (right after the tuit which will be erecting my garden shed, so domestic boss' garden stuff can finally get out of my garage / workshop), I will have to do something about a proper grinder for my HSS tools.
      Last edited by Euph0ny; 11-08-2013, 06:03 AM. Reason: Kant spel write!

Comment

How about if you ruin one grinding steel, then it was diamond?

Comment

Originally posted by Jono View Post
          How about if you ruin one grinding steel, then it was diamond?
          One really has to push it to get it destroyed with steel, so could not tell the difference .Been there, done that.
          Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Sorry, this time it was my attempt at Cornish humour.

Comment

This is absolutely the best most informative post regarding CBN ever. I have spent a lot of time and effort and never been able to get my hands on more than two CBN wheels. One that was a cup type was returned to MSC and never used. The one that I posted in the other thread was obtained from Evan’s wife. It has found a satisfactory home as a final dresser for the threading blades that I make. Others have claimed fabulous performance from the CBN but that has not been my experience. I would really like to hear your opinion of the CBN.

I see the label on the Foley blade but Question if it is correct.

I talked with an applications Engineer at Norton when I was trying to purchase a CBN wheel to use on the Baldor tool grinder. He was clueless about his job.

Where and how did you acquire all those examples that you posted. What did they cost? You really need to tell us about their performance. After John Stevensons’ suggestion that the cheap Diamond wheels be considered expendables, I had lost most of my motivation regarding CBN. Now you have renewed that interest so tell us more.
              Outstanding post,
              Thank you!
              Byron Boucher
              Burnet, TX

Comment

In the top row of your last photo (wheels labelled "D") why are some wheels coated as though the diamond grit were sandpaper while one has discrete circles of diamond grit separated by blank (9non-grit) areas? Does this improve efficiency, allow cooler running, or is it simply another way of doing business?

Comment

Have a look at what the woodturners are using on their chisels. There's a new breed of electroplate bond all steel CBN wheels specifically designed for bench grinders. 6' ,8" periphery and face.

Can't recall any US suppliers but they won't be hard to find.
                  The wheels aren't cheap, but not as crazily priced as they were when GE had the monopoly on CBN.
                  Last edited by Jono; 11-08-2013, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boucher View Post
                    This is absolutely the best most informative post regarding CBN ever. I have spent a lot of time and effort and never been able to get my hands on more than two CBN wheels. One that was a cup type was returned to MSC and never used. The one that I posted in the other thread was obtained from Evan’s wife. It has found a satisfactory home as a final dresser for the threading blades that I make. Others have claimed fabulous performance from the CBN but that has not been my experience. I would really like to hear your opinion of the CBN.

I talked with an applications Engineer at Norton when I was trying to purchase a CBN wheel to use on the Baldor tool grinder. He was clueless about his job.

Where and how did you acquire all those examples that you posted. What did they cost? You really need to tell us about their performance. After John Stevensons’ suggestion that the cheap Diamond wheels be considered expendables, I had lost most of my motivation regarding CBN. Now you have renewed that interest so tell us more.
                    Outstanding post,
                    Thank you!
                    Hey Byron! That was yer post huh? Solly, I couldnt find it. And thanks for the comments.

I actually dont do much grinding at all. Weird right? Why all the wheels. Well thats simple. Im a hoarder and love tools. More to follow. And prolly why you dont see any of my projects here. I, plain and simple dont have any. Id LOVE to be as proficient as many of the guys here. I read all the posts here. My favs are the "Shop Made Tools" and ALL the other folks projects. I LOVE this site and all the folks that travel through here over the years. I use my tools simply to do minor basic operations like turning a round for some fix-it type thing for the house, car or garage. I dont have the mind set to accomplish a full project. I wish I did.

Now why all the wheels. I have one of the inexpensive "carbide grinders" that HF sold for what? $170 for years. I still have some stone wheels on it. Not the original green painted wheels that it came with. And YES! They actually painted the wheels green back a few years. Not saying they were trying to present them as silicon carbide grinding wheels but???

So on my grinder I wrote with a sharpie "carbide" for the silicon carbide wheel I bought and the white wheel gets the steel. I forget sometimes

The diamond and CBN wheels? Have yet to mount one. WHAT!!?? I know. But that should be a clear indicator to the folks that think about spending money for a diamond or CBN plate mounted wheel for the Baldor rip off grinder or the real Baldor grinder. Its NOT needed!!! A decent stone wheel will do what you need. Dont get carried away with all the super abrasive wheels.

My good friend and job shop owner Del showed me that. He was my mentor.

So... The other wheels are for the cuttermaster grinder I have. Its a simple tool grinder that uses cup wheels. Again, I dont use it so much. I actually use my really old HF 6x48" sander more than any of the grinders (not for cutters, I use carbide inserts).

Why the over kill with the CBN wheels? Not sure but I think it was my thought that I needed CBN for steel. But when will I be sharpening steel? Solly, just a hoarder here.

The Foley? Not sure. JR

Comment

You can't accurately identify a wheel type by color, at least not any more. Norton's, being the leader were tan or the light brown you mentioned. Since there are now so many copy cat companies out there they make wheels with the same color abrasive, kind of to fool you into thinking it's as good as or equal to Norton. There is no standard for color any any one can make any wheel in any color they want. It's like all the welder companies that copy Miller with the blue, Lincoln with the red, and a host of other tool mfg. companies that use a brand name companies color.

JL.....................

Comment

Originally posted by Boucher View Post

Out of curiosity I did a search of "3700674 foley belsaw" the number on the blade and it is a cbn blade. JR

https://shop-foley-belsaw.com/foley/3700674.prod

Comment

Working...
                        X