Old Bridgeport Cleanup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Bridgeport Cleanup

I've got an old BP and the ball handles have a fair amount of surface rust on them. I want to Spray the nuts and shaft with Kroil, remove the retaining nuts, and then attempt to to carefully tap the handles off. My question is, does anyone feel this is a bad idea and/or does anyone have another recommendation?
    John B

John,

You should have no problem removing the handles but if it were me I would just use a scotch brite pad with some oil with the knobs still on the machine or if the rust is really bad use sandpaper.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

A medium wire wheel on a bench grinder, light pressure is enough to remove most dirt and corrosion. Stout apron and dust mask recommended. Once the metal is clean, apply 2 coats of good quality beeswax furniture polish, buff between coats. It helps to prevent further corrosion and makes the parts pleasant to handle. Works well on steel, beautiful on cast iron, not for sliding or bearing surfaces.
      Dave

Comment

Thanks much gentlemen! Both are excellent recommendations.
        John B

Comment

You could always paint them, one red, one white and one blue so you don't get mixed up.
          Look really nice on a Bridgy.....

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
            You could always paint them, one red, one white and one blue so you don't get mixed up.
            Look really nice on a Bridgy.....
            Or maybe "limey green" ? that is of course if he cleared it with you first - don't want to offend any of you over there about the color of your tooth enamel (or whats left of it)

Have a nice day SJ

Comment

Working...
            X