Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use ABS plastic for 75 RPM bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gambler View Post
    that would work great for fine gold. maybe you should sell plans.
    That's in the works. Not for that model, but for a slightly smaller, simpler design. I'm building the prototype now. May sell finished units, kits, and plans. We'll see how it goes. The jig does work for almost anything...gems gold, etc. They're really versatile. Should have a video of the new model within a week, or so.
    Jim

Comment

The Delrin is agood choice. I used some to make replacement hubs for Kart racers. The use was for stands to prep tires, and also to make buggies so you could use tires that was not good enough to race but still useable.. Also I have a customer that uses them to make machines that work the tires. In the 5+years that I have been making them I have not had any problem with them wearing out..

For what you are using it for it will last just fine. A much better choice than ABS
      Last edited by sawlog; 11-14-2013, 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoJim View Post
        That's in the works. Not for that model, but for a slightly smaller, simpler design. I'm building the prototype now. May sell finished units, kits, and plans. We'll see how it goes. The jig does work for almost anything...gems gold, etc. They're really versatile. Should have a video of the new model within a week, or so.
        Jim
        this would be used before the blue bowl right, have you tried running heavy black sands through it? I picture running 1/4 mesh material through the sluice than the jig, than the blue bowl. Is that what you're going to do? Or does this replace the sluice?

Comment

this would be used before the blue bowl right, have you tried running heavy black sands through it? I picture running 1/4 mesh material through the sluice than the jig, than the blue bowl. Is that what you're going to do? Or does this replace the sluice?
          If I was using it for gold, I'd put 1" of 1/4" steel shot in the screen box. The gold will go through the shot into the hutch. The black sand will too. I'd classify to -#2, and put it all through the jig. The dirt and everything lighter than steel would stop at the layer of steel shot. The gems, if any would end up right on top of the shot layer. The dirt, gravel, etc would go out over the top. It would replace the sluice. To get rid of most of the black sand, you could run it again, using a layer of 1/8" lead shot. The lead, being heavier than iron, would get rid of the black sand, but allow the gold to go through. This would take a little experimentation to get the feed, and water flow right. Sometimes mines will use the first jig to make the big cut, and then run a cleanup jig as the final. Something I didn't mention....since the screen needs to be smaller than the shot size used, any larger gold will end up sitting on the screen, under the shot layer, rather than go through into the hutch.
          Jim

Comment

If I was using it for gold, I'd put 1" of 1/4" steel shot in the screen box. The gold will go through the shot into the hutch. The black sand will too. I'd classify to -#2, and put it all through the jig. The dirt and everything lighter than steel would stop at the layer of steel shot. The gems, if any would end up right on top of the shot layer. The dirt, gravel, etc would go out over the top. It would replace the sluice. To get rid of most of the black sand, you could run it again, using a layer of 1/8" lead shot. The lead, being heavier than iron, would get rid of the black sand, but allow the gold to go through. This would take a little experimentation to get the feed, and water flow right. Sometimes mines will use the first jig to make the big cut, and then run a cleanup jig as the final. Something I didn't mention....since the screen needs to be smaller than the shot size used, any larger gold will end up sitting on the screen, under the shot layer, rather than go through into the hutch.
            Jim
            so it has to go to the river, make it light and modular to fit in a backpack maybe. keep us informed. I have a spot with fine gold, I don't lose it panning, but it's hard to keep it in the sluice.

Comment

get that video posted yet?
              Jim

Comment

get that video posted yet?
                Just finishing the unit. Was going to do the vid today, but when I leak-tested, I had a couple of seeps. The speed is slightly slow, but probably perfect for flour gold. Because flour gold is really flat, it tends to settle slower. The longer interval of the slower pulse rate allows that. I didn't make that up...it's something I learned when researching jigs. For this unit, the answer is a two-lobed cam. That would double the pulse rate, at the same motor speed, which would be too fast, so along with the two-lobed cam, a PWM speed control would be used. That would easily allow speeds from 75 (as it is now) to 150 cpm. For gems, I typically run mine at about 100 cpm.
                But, while building this unit, I came up with what I think will be the final design, so this one will be sold as the prototype it is, and there won't be another just like it. So I'll probably sell this one just like it is, without putting more time into it. The new model will be even lighter and more compact, but with the same capacity. My wife laughs when I say "final". "Better" ideas occur whenever I build anything...LOL
                Oh yeah...to everybody that helped on the bushing problem...I got the acetal, or Delrin, and it worked great. I used it for the mainshaft bushings, and the cam follower. It machines, and even threads, nicely. I glued the bushings into the ABS with Gorilla Glue.
                Jim
                Last edited by IdahoJim; 11-23-2013, 07:14 PM.

Comment

plans yet?

Comment

Working...
                  X