Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use ABS plastic for 75 RPM bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaakko Fagerlund
    replied
    Acetal works nicely, it is hard and slippery plastic, a.k.a. Delrin. Machines very nicely.

Leave a comment:

• atomarc
    replied
    Jim,

What a bunch of kool stuff. Did you invent it and build it? I don't see where the dirt, etc is introduced to the bearings but if there is a 'nasty' zone, don't forget to think about wood bearings, things such a Lignum Vitae.

Stuart

Leave a comment:

• IdahoJim
    replied
    Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
    Hi,

What's a mineral jig?

I would think if the tolerences don't need to be very tight or operated in gritty conditions they should last for a while. Question is, how long do you want them to last?

Dalee
    Here's a link to a video of my personal jig in operation....the new one will be a bit smaller, and different construction. The conditions will be gritty and possibly wet, too. Tolerances aren't real tight.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLoqfj9-yXI

Leave a comment:

• IdahoJim
    replied
    Thanks for the help, guys. Is there a plastic that would work that could be glued to the ABS?
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• Oldbrock
    replied
    No, nylatron would be a better choice or teflon

Leave a comment:

• atomarc
    replied
    Jim,

I don't know the particulars of your application but I have had poor luck with ABS as a bearing. Maybe if it were flooded with some type of lube it may work but at the first hint of junk or contaminants it falls apart and will self destruct. It's just a real poor bearing medium, even at that low RPM...IMHO that is~!

Stuart

Leave a comment:

• dalee100
    replied
    Hi,

What's a mineral jig?

I would think if the tolerences don't need to be very tight or operated in gritty conditions they should last for a while. Question is, how long do you want them to last?

Dalee

Leave a comment:

• IdahoJim
    started a topic Can I use ABS plastic for 75 RPM bushings?

Can I use ABS plastic for 75 RPM bushings?

I'm building a prototype mineral jig. I plan on making and selling these units. They are made of ABS plastic. It would simplify my work to be able to use the ABS for a couple of bushings. Is that workable? Would the working life be acceptable? The bushings would be 1/2" I.D. and 1/2"-3/4" long. Steel shaft.
    Thanks,
    Jim
Working...
X