3D Printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Printing

Saw a program discussing Philadelphia's proposed ban on the 3D printing of firearms. That got me to thinking -- I have a project (out of dozens) that I need to make a pattern for. It will have 3 identical parts, plus a few others. I thought about hand crafting 1 master, then making an RTV mold, casting 3 secondary masters, and using them to build up the complete pattern. But a 3D printer could do the whole thing. After a quick search of the web, I found a site with a printer cost comparison chart. Printers start at around $300 for an assembly it yourself kit to $2000+ for a ready to go printer. The lower end I could do.

So, does anyone play with 3D? Where can I find good how to get started info?
    Kevin

More tools than sense.

Do some searching on "RepRap" It's an open source 3D printer project. Building one for $300 would probably be a stretch, $500 would be more like it. Especially for a first machine. My "Rostock" cost about $600:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGWXkyn1KeA

Now I'm working on a "Morgan" which is another odd ball machine.

I would say look at one of the Prusa variants because they seem to be the best documented/most popular right now. Be warned though, 3D printing can be a mighty deep rabbit hole but it can be just as rewarding as machine work!

It's actually the thing that has re-ignited my interest in machine work because I'm working to improve the technology.
    Last edited by hoffman; 11-13-2013, 03:43 PM.
    Techno-Anarchist

Comment

If all one wants is the finished result, perhaps one
      of the many service bureaus could deliver, whilst
      sparing you the inevitable learning curve/expenditure
      that DIY entails.

Choosing my battles is becoming more important, ymmv.

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
        If all one wants is the finished result, perhaps one
        of the many service bureaus could deliver
        I saw that option on the 3Ders.org website. Thought about it for a while then realized that once I find one use for it ...
        Last edited by KJ1I; 11-13-2013, 07:12 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
        Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

The cheap 3D printers ($300 range) are crap. The people I know that have the spend more time messing with them trying to get them to produce something usable than anything else.

If you want something to make patterns for molds I would look at one of the resin machines that use a projector. Way, way higher detail. The output is more fragile but since you are recasting anyway it really won't matter.

Comment

As for the ban, that will almost certainly be deemed unconstitutional.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
              As for the ban, that will almost certainly be deemed unconstitutional.
              It (the ban) hasn't passed yet. The first step after is PA's preemption law. Its idiot law -- the machine to lay metal (SML) runs 600 to 900 K. Just the thing your average street thug is going to run out and buy so he can make his own gun. I guess this is just a symptom of America's loss of much of its manufacturing base. People have no concept of how things (name anything) are made. Same goes for where food comes from. Hint -----

The grocery store.
              Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Wait until your dumb lawmakers realize what an old bridgeport can do.
                I bet they will make anyone with a drillpress in his basement register it as a gun manufacturing facility.
                FSWizard - Free Online Speed and Feed Calculator

Comment

Originally posted by Zero_Divide View Post
                  Wait until your dumb lawmakers realize what an old bridgeport can do.
                  I bet they will make anyone with a drillpress in his basement register it as a gun manufacturing facility.
                  3D printing is a little different. I printed out a "Liberator" pistol in .380 and test fired it a couple of times. It is a TERRIBLE gun but it did manage to throw a couple of slugs downrange. The scary part is that it's almost 100% plastic. The firing pin is the only metal part.

Took about 8 hours to print all the parts in ABS plastic but the machine did all the work while I was mowing the grass...

One thing I learned about 3D printing is that it's about WORTHLESS unless you learn some type of CAD. Once you pick up some CAD skills it's neat to be able to push a button and have the part you've designed made!

If you need fine finish parts for casting, etc. That's possible too;

Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Forget castings how do I get a date????????
                    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                      Forget castings how do I get a date????????
                      LOL! Nekkid wimmin are fun to print!

Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Look like you got the breast implants inside

Comment

Originally posted by hoffman View Post
                          LOL! Nekkid wimmin are fun to print!
                          Fine. So what equipment did you use?
                          Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Originally posted by KJ1I View Post
                            Fine. So what equipment did you use?
                            Home made Rostock Delta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDO7aP8XSnc

http://reprap.org/wiki/Rostock

Good robot and fun to build!

PM me if you're interested in building one. I'll be glad to help you with parts selection etc.
                            Last edited by hoffman; 11-15-2013, 07:36 AM.
                            Techno-Anarchist

Comment

That's an amazing resolution progression from when I bought/built my "maker bot" which did nothing but suck $1500 out of my wallet, dozens of hours out of my life, and drive me into a murderous "wielding a ball peen hammer in a manner unintended by its manufacturer" rage.

What's the rough time investment on that? Looks like it might be worth a second plunge.
                              ----
                              Proud machining permanoob since September 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X