Right Angle gear Reduction Box??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Angle gear Reduction Box??

Im modifying my engine stand for my 460 projeect, I find it ridiculous to turn the engine while its mounted hence a mod to install a mechanical right angle drive gear box with a wheel on it to make turning the engine easier, I cant seem to find a box reasonable? Any tips Guys?

Some of the more expensive units used on large engines have a gear drive to rotate .

Comment

Define "reasonable".

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Gear-Re...ions=price+asc

Comment

Dude, make it EASY.
        Get an old flexplate and fix it to the rotating part of your engine stand (the motor bracket).
        Gut an old starter, and use the gear to mount to a fixed part of your stand.
        Use some bushings and a hand crank and there you go.

--Doozer
        DZER

Comment

I wanted something compact Doozer, Nice idea, Funny when i took apart engine my flex plate was sheared in half, anyhow I wish to use a 90 degree gearbox, Thanx Mike

Comment

Ibhsbz

Thanx for the Link AI was looking for something used ,dont laugh but $15 bucks is more in my budget fior a used one 15 to 1 ratio Thanx Mike

Comment

Ibhsbz

Thanx for the Link AI was looking for something used ,dont laugh but $15 bucks is more in my budget fior a used one 15 to 1 ratio , Shipping a unit form the USA is a Big Mistake, Prices Brokerage Duty ect, add up so much, I will order Titaniumn bar for $50 and its 70$70 to get it to my door? Anyhow Thanx Ill keep looking for local supplier, another problem not allowed intto metal and scrap yards anymore, Insurance Bull ,Thanx mikeThanx Mike

Comment

A couple of gears from a differential will make a good right angle drive.
                Byron Boucher
                Burnet, TX

Comment

Anyone selling scrap piping, etc. in your area? The right-angle drive from a butterfly valve should meet your needs.
                  Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

How about a slack adjuster of of a heavy truck with air brakes. Any heavy truck shop junk pile should have plenty of used ones.

Comment

How about the worm drive gear box off the end of a mechanical driven winch for a small truck. Should be lots of these laying around somewhere. Everybody seems to be using electric winches these days.
                      Larry

Comment

Harbor frt. right in the middle of this page:http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...t?q=hand+winch
                        Use a 25% off coupon and the price wont be too bad. Gut the winch for the worm and gear and the crank.

Steve

Comment

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb...inch-5798.html

Crap! Looks like Dr. Demo beat me to it!
                          Last edited by 914Wilhelm; 11-15-2013, 03:51 PM. Reason: Too late to the party

Comment

That winch is a pretty reasonable deal. I have one that I used to disassemble a 10K and base, and to skid those parts and a G0704 mill down my basement stairs. The nice thing about it is that if you lose the handle when lowering things, they don't take off, they just stop. A regular boat style winch gives you a falling object and a flailing handle.

A great modification is to take the handle off, add a second nut to jam the two together, cut off a cheap socket extension and drive the nuts with a socket on the extension in a 1/2" drill. Nice control and no tiring cranking.

It is pretty loose, though, so if you had something that would go over center, it would jump a bit.

Comment

I normally use spare worm drive units for cement mixers, cheap, oil filled and reliable.
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X