Material Gloat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material Gloat.

That is a 6 foot bed of my Toyota about half way filled of mixed plastics. Most of it is a mix of UHMW, PET, and Acetal. I got it for the cost of picking it of off the top of the dumpster, except for the skid of very large chunks at the bottom that got loaded in with the forklift. Had I realized sooner it was getting thrown out, it all would have gotten loaded. I think I did alright.

Here's some better pics of the haul.

Pretty sure most of this is UHMH

I think most of this is PET and possibly some Acetal. The 2 chunks in the lower right hand corner are PET-P, 1 is 12" x 20" x 3" thick the other is 12" x 20" x 2.5" thick.

Pretty sure this is PVC, 1" thick.

I think the middle and the left piles are PET, left is 1/2" thick and middle is 1.25" thick, both 30" plus lengths. The piece on the right looks like maybe UHMW or maybe a nylon, is it pretty big, 12" x 48" x 2.75" thick.

Comment

Lots of stuff to move around and stack and shuffle and move again until one day you say to yourself...what was I thinking!

Stuart

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Nice gloat!

I understand that this stuff is expensive - I just wouldn't know the good stuff if it fell on me
          Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
          Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
          Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

So is it possible... to build a functioning steam engine entirely out of delrin and teflon?

Comment

Yes You can make a steam engine out of it. You must first make a cold steam boiler with an attached steam super chiller so to as not melt anything.
              mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Here I am,hoarding my little milk crate of plastic odds and ends and you show up with truckloads.
                Oh yes you suck!

Comment

You do suck! I wonder what the retail is on all of that. I'd say @$10K.
                  Randy
                  Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

I use white plastic all the time for "things". Amazing score you lucky sob!
                    Andy

Comment

I need to make two centering cones for the line borer that I am building.
                      Each one about 4"to 6" dia. and around 2" thick.
                      Got anything in about that size that pile you are willing to part with?

Comment

Originally posted by 1-800miner View Post
                        I need to make two centering cones for the line borer that I am building.
                        Each one about 4"to 6" dia. and around 2" thick.
                        Got anything in about that size that pile you are willing to part with?
                        I will take a look for you, I am not sure what is there for stuff that thick. Would you be willing to glue up 2 pieces of the 1" thick pvc (the sheet leaning against the truck) if I don't have anything else?

Comment

Sure thing!

Comment

I'd offer fair money for UHMW or Acetal/Delrin rounds in the 3 to 4" diameter range, use the stuff all the time. Flats not so much. That was one hell of a score however...

YOU SUCK!
                            James Kilroy

Comment

You did good.. That looks like at least 1k of plastic.. I know because I buy drops for projects and one sheet of 3/4 x 12" x 6' runs a little over 100$

Comment

Working...
                              X