X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loose nut
    replied
    Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
    This machine is not, nor will it ever be, however heavily modified, a substitute for or even a reasonable facsimile of a Cincinnati #2 or a Monoset tool grinder.
    100% right and no one said it was but those of us that don't have access to Cincinnati #2 or Monoset tool grinders have to make do with what we can get.

If you don't like the idea of a modified Deckel clone that's fine you don't have to use one if you don't want to.

You guys that work in machine shops with the fancy tools forget that most of us don't and we can't afford to mortgage the house to buy the equipment that you think is the right stuff (usually good old "merican iron).

Nuff said.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    If your going to sharpen end mills you really need to run the wheel over the edge to be sharpened as in my picture. You will not get the proper surface or relief angle just by pushing the end mill into the edge or side of the wheel, you will only end up with a scalloped / concaved or hollow ground cutting edge and generate way too much heat to the cutters edge. As you can see you're running into all kinds of clearance issues. If you were to attempt to sharpen a smaller dia. end mill or a six fluted end mill the problem would be even worse. I'm not familiar with your machine but I have to agree with Lane, it looks like it's designed more for sharpening drill bits. Years ago there was a local sharpening shop in town that did saw blades and drill bits for what few factories were left at the time. His machine looked to be an exact copy of yours. I remember asking him if he could sharpen end mills on it and he said no. I also remember him telling me he paid close to $7000 for it.

JL......................

Leave a comment:

• Rosco-P
    replied
    Originally posted by loose nut View Post
    Who isn't listening, your not paying attention to what people who support these machine say. Are they easy to use ,no. If it's all you got can it get the job done, yes at least to some degree. Most of use don't have access to the real deal, we have to make do with what we can. That's what these machines are about.
    Can you show us images of how you grind four flute end mills with your modified Deckel clone? This same "argument" has been presented before. This machine is not, nor will it ever be, however heavily modified, a substitute for or even a reasonable facsimile of a Cincinnati #2 or a Monoset tool grinder. Not meant to do the same jobs and not nearly as versitile as either.

Leave a comment:

• goodscrap
    replied
    Yer, but its no good for the LH cutter he's trying to grind

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Tony
    replied
    hhaha.. jeez this guy's got one of everything!

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Originally posted by Tony View Post
    Excellent write-up, very clear. I think the ZZM is for left hand cutters thats why you're running out of space, you
    should have gotten the MZZ for right handers.
    You mean this one ?

Leave a comment:

• Tony
    replied
    Excellent write-up, very clear. I think the ZZM is for left hand cutters thats why you're running out of space, you
    should have gotten the MZZ for right handers.

Leave a comment:

• loose nut
    replied
    Who isn't listening, your not paying attention to what people who support these machine say. Are they easy to use ,no. If it's all you got can it get the job done, yes at least to some degree. Most of use don't have access to the real deal, we have to make do with what we can. That's what these machines are about.

Leave a comment:

• lane
    replied
    Originally posted by loose nut View Post
    Single lip tools. Blah, Blah, Blah, don't say it can't be done, you just have to try harder.
    You don`t listen , I did not say you can`t do it. I said the machine was not designed to sharpen end mills . That explains what John was trying to show every one. Those are the problems you will have doing so .If it was designed to sharpen end mills it would be easy to do with plenty of travel to do so.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur.Marks
    replied
    Originally posted by hwingo View Post
    I haven't the faintest idea what a Single Lip Engraving tool is. What is this?

note: the above are milling cutters. They, of course, can also be used as lathe tools. It is a single edge milling cutter that has no helix. As an analogy, think of a D-bit in comparison to a 2-flute, helical flute twist drill. Same difference between a "single-lip cutter" and a typical 2 or 4 flute helical end mill you're used to using.

Leave a comment:

• frankie
    replied
    I forgot to say that the Cuttermaster grinder has a air spindle and that works as slick as snot on a doorknob.

frankie

Leave a comment:

• frankie
    replied
    I have a Universal T&C grinder Chinese of course, and with the use of a "saucer" wheel I have been able to put the secondary clearance on end mills, I also have used it to gash 4 flute end mills, however this kind of a dicey situation. Also I have been able to grind the O.D.s but was never able to do it consistently. Now having said all that I must also say that these grinders are very cumbersome to use for end mills, they work very well for single flute tools. I was walking around in a used machinery store a few weeks ago lo and behold a Cuttermaster grinder jumped in my truck so I took it home. It is very east to use for both O.D. and the end. I will probably will keep the Chinese grinder for a while but its residence in my toy room is rather iffy.

frankie

Leave a comment:

• loose nut
    replied
    Originally posted by lane View Post
    Just remember . Those type of grinders were never designed to do END MILLS. Single lip engraving tools.
    Single lip tools. Blah, Blah, Blah, don't say it can't be done, you just have to try harder.

Leave a comment:

• hwingo
    replied
    Just remember . Those type of grinders were never designed to do END MILLS. Single lip engraving tools.
    Hi Lane,

Thanks for your reply. At this time my interest is really not with endmills. I am most interested in shaping and then sharpening HSS and Cobalt lathe cutters. Maybe an occasional re-construction of a drill point that's dull or chipped.

I haven't the faintest idea what a Single Lip Engraving tool is. What is this?

Harold

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Very true but with a bit of work they will do the ends.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X