No announcement yet.

Mill Spindle heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't change anything as I never ran it previously. The belt is not real tight as it is a 3mm HTD x 25mm timing belt. The pulley is installed on the spindle below the lower bearing, so it is very close to the bearing, nothing in the way of overhang.
    Last edited by garyhlucas; 11-18-2013, 10:54 PM. Reason: add description

Comment

Originally posted by velocette View Post
      Hi Gary
      "The spindle has some noticeable runout on the top end where the adjusting nut is".
      This "May be the key to the problem the spindle is bent or has not been machined properly.
      The original bearings are only just adequate for the job.
      Taper Roller Bearings or Angular Contact Bearings are available but are more expensive than the originals.
      Consider fitting an Amp Meter to the motor leads. This is useful to monitor bearing adjustment by measuring the load on the motor also helps to achieve the best rate of material removal without overloading.
      To get the best out of the extra power you will need to stiffen the column to base as this does not cope very well.
      My X2 mill fitted with Taper Rollers runs at 3200 RPM and draws 1 Amp No Load and the bearings are only warm to touch.
      You can expect a bearing to run hotter until it is "Run In".

Eric
      Eric,
      Yes I have considered that the spindle is bent a little. I am an electrical guy, and I actually have a DC clamp on meter. However I previously head the situation where the machine axis were far heavier duty than the spindle, which previously was off a Sherline mill. Now the spindle is more powerful than the machine is rigid, so I am unlikely to be able to use the full motor horsepower anyway. I only have one belt speed and the motor is constant torque so you really need a big motor to actually get any torque at low speeds. Today I cut an orifice plate out of 1/16" thick 316 stainless using a 4 flute 1/8" end mill and it did a very nice job. So I suspect the heat is going to be just fine.

On the other hand I need just one more tool, an infrared thermometer. Actually I really do need that as I have a 3D printer head on this machine with a heated bed and I'd like to be able to test temperatures in lots of places.

Comment

Working...
      X