OT- Downloading Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Downloading Music

I would like to make a CD or two of oldie songs, select them, download them then burn a CD. I have read about the copyright aspect of it, but it seems to still be done.

But my questions are, which site is safe to download from, and then is there a particular program that will format them to properly burn to disc?

Since downloading is legal where I live, I'll chime in without the thought police coming after us.
    I haven't downloaded songs for a long time, but I'd probably use Spotify and use a program to rip the output as that makes the search part really convenient. Now the new problem is to find a ripper without malware inside.....

I think most CD burning programs will let you drag mp3 files onto an audio CD you want to create and converts it to wav directly.

Igor

Comment

I buy songs from Amazon $.99 to $1.29 each. There are many programs to create audio discs. As far as copyrighting, I'm pretty sure if you are using the music for yourself and not reselling or distributing, then it is legal.

Stu
      Last edited by Stu; 11-21-2013, 08:07 AM.

Comment

I may have a program on my laptop to burn the disc, but what website is "safe" to do this? If I remember, one of the highest risk websites for virus' are music types.

The above mentioned Spotify appears to be a streaming type site, not to download and burn a disk.

Comment

http://www.pianoladynancy.com/wavs.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/retro2/croonerjd/FullList.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
            I buy songs from Amazon $.99 to $1.29 each. There are many programs to create audio discs. As far as copyrighting, I'm pretty sure if you are using the music for yourself and not reselling or distributing, then it is legal.

Stu
            That's how most interpret it. You buy a copy of it, you can translate it to whatever media you prefer.

Now turning around and redistributing it, that's where you get in trouble.

Remember, people get paid based on these sales. If they don't get paid, there is no incentive to produce. Would YOU willingly work your ass off for free? Not likely.

Just use reasonable common sense... most of us on this site have some.

Comment

I buy from Amazon as well, cheap as chips and not as restrictive as iTunes that my kids use.
              Many years ago - late 90s - I used Napster just the same as everyone else, but now it's so easy to get the stuff legally I wouldn't even bother going anywhere else.
              And I think there are only a few artists who aren't available on mp3. Up until fairly recently there was no Glenn Frey stuff to buy as an mp3 that I could find, but even that has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by rws View Post
                I would like to make a CD or two of oldie songs, select them, download them then burn a CD. I have read about the copyright aspect of it, but it seems to still be done.

But my questions are, which site is safe to download from, and then is there a particular program that will format them to properly burn to disc?
                I recommend you buy the songs from a reputable online site (amazon, itunes) or buy them the old fashioned way. A store. You could be heading down the virus highway before you get to listen to "Rockin down the Highway". JR

Here is an oldies site. Music for purchase.
                http://www.oldies.com/product/topsel...Music-CDs.html
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

And a lot of CD players will play mp3. If you do the wav thing, you will only
                  get a dozen or so songs on a CD. But if you get/have a player that will do mp3, you can
                  put hundreds on it.
                  John Titor, when are you.

Comment

I record audio from youtube vids from time to time because that is the only source. Once you have the audio track on disk putting it onto a CD is just a matter of having some burning software. Once in a while it is necessary to fiddle with audio levels so one track doesn't sound like a carrier deck while another is a quiet walk in the woods. Some burning software will handle that.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatTheFlux! View Post
                      That's how most interpret it. You buy a copy of it, you can translate it to whatever media you prefer.

Now turning around and redistributing it, that's where you get in trouble.

Remember, people get paid based on these sales. If they don't get paid, there is no incentive to produce. Would YOU willingly work your ass off for free? Not likely.

Just use reasonable common sense... most of us on this site have some.
                      The trouble is copywrite laws DONT make common sence .How does the life of the author plus 50 or 70 years make sence?

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
                        The trouble is copywrite laws DONT make common sence .How does the life of the author plus 50 or 70 years make sence?
                        Makes sense for his/her kids and grand-kids (A.K.A. unwashed and undeserving heirs).
                        Paul A.

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Here's a vid I recorded about an hour ago - got the sound track from another YT vid, added some scratchy noise and ducking to make it sound like an old recording, and swapped it into the video sound track.

http://youtu.be/wlBfDTCJUnY

For those counting, the twelv'th raccoon was out of the light but had the attention of a couple siblings in the vid. We have two bachelor males and two mothers with 4 and 5 'tweens still in tow. For those that are really paying attention, I screwed up and set the RPM for the pops and ticks at 33 rpm instead of 78
                          Last edited by dp; 11-22-2013, 12:33 AM.

Comment

I use iTunes to burn audio files to disc. It is available for both Mac and Windows. It lets you select audio CD or MP3 for the burn type. Some players can't handle MP3 discs. My wife's Acadia (2011) can play both, so she gets mp3's - she likes the likes the large play lists since she is on the road a lot. My Durango (1999) can only play ACD's. And my old ears can't tell the difference in audio quality between the two formats, especially in a moving vehicle.
                            Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

iTunes doesn't preserve the track metadata so you lose all the title/artist information. Very annoying since I have been recording my wife's choir for years and have a legitimate need for that information to be preserved.

Comment

Working...
                              X