Who works with an air museum in NZ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who works with an air museum in NZ?

A friend of mine was over there a while back, and went to one of the aircraft museums, somewhere reasonably near Christchurch.

He commented to me that he really liked it.

He didn't remember which one it was, but said that it was one that had a Gloster Meteor, which means it likely wasn't the Air Force museum. Maybe Ashburton?

Anyhow, he was pleased with his visit, and I thought I'd mention it in case it was the one a member here is involved with.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

The man you are seeking is John Hill the Artful Bodger, who lives in Ashburton.
    Allan Ostling

Comment

Hi
      The Air Force museum at the Sockburn Airport which was "Wigram Air Base" lots of info on "Google"
      Eric

Comment

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...Old-jet-engine

Post 8.

I'll be checking it out next week!

BTW.. the NZ Royal Airforce did fly them.

Comment

Hi JT, yes thats me. The Ashburton Aviation Museum has a Gloster Meteor and a Rolls Royce Derwent engine on display alongside it.

The RNZAF had one Meteor which I can only assume was here for evaluation as they never bought any more and the one they had was scrapped after a couple of years. The Meteor we have on display came from Australia and I understand is a later marque than the single RNZAF one.

Instead of Meteors the RNZAF selected DH Vampires as their first jets, we have single and dual seat versions on display.

I am pleased to hear your friend enjoyed his visit and I invite any others from this board who chance by this way to let me know in advance so that the appropriate welcome can be arranged!

When I finish my breakfast I will be going out there for a day in the workshop. We are an all volunteer operation where the social interaction is just as important as pumping up the tires, mostly retirees with a useful sprinkling of aviation professionals. We are open every afternoon and by special arrangement.

Wigram air force museum (at Sockburn, near Christchurch) is about 50 miles from here and is a government funded operation, well worth a visit but a quite different style of operation.

www.aviationmuseum.co.nz
          Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 11-22-2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post

I'll be checking it out next week!
            I sent you a PM.

John

Comment

There used to be an RNZAF museum at Ohakea, but that closed a few years ago. I wonder if the aircraft were moved to Wigram or Ashburton.

My first assignment when I started at the Ministry of Works in 1972 was to design a ground-based jet engine silencer for the airfield at Ohakea. The noise from the fighter jets prior to take-off was disturbing the population in nearby Bulls. Since nobody at MOW knew anything designing silencers the new guy (me) got to take a crack at it. I don't recall that my design was ever built, probably just was added to the stack of previous plans for that nuisance.
              Allan Ostling

Comment

Hi Allan, I dont think we got any aircraft here in Ashburton from the Ohakea museum.

Comment

Ashburton Aviation Museum had a 'Back to the '50s' Day' to take advantage of a visiting DC3 which was on a tour around NZ.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                    Ashburton Aviation Museum had a 'Back to the '50s' Day' to take advantage of a visiting DC3 which was on a tour around NZ.
                    Nice photo, John. It is a treat to see them in black & white.

My first flight was in a DC-3, Sidney (B.C.) to Seattle, in 1955. Are they still using these for aerial top-dressing in New Zealand?
                    Allan Ostling

Comment

No Allan, no DC-3s doing aerial topdressing that I know of nowadays.

The same DC-3 is doing another tour this month and we will be putting on the same show for them.

John

Comment

They used to have DC3 topdressers when I lived in Palmerston North, here is a link to some good pictures http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/12...-photos?page=4

We used to dream about skydiving from them , but they were configured for a different purpose, and c206 and c172 were what we really used.
                        Went to Blenheim once to jump from a Bristol Freighter, they are pretty cool, another distant memory, all gone now
                        My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

Originally posted by Yow Ling View Post
                          Went to Blenheim once to jump from a Bristol Freighter, they are pretty cool, another distant memory, all gone now

I hope you didnt try to jump out the front door!

Our museum has been offered a Bristol Frightener but as it is in the Auckland area I dont think we could manage the logistics, it is airworthy.

Comment

Interesting that the RNZAF had only one Meteor. I guess it must therefore have been that one that my father flew shortly after WW2, before he left the Air Force in 1949.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                              I hope you didnt try to jump out the front door!

Our museum has been offered a Bristol Frightener but as it is in the Auckland area I dont think we could manage the logistics, it is airworthy.

There was an aircraft museum just along the road when I lived near Southend, Essex, UK. They had a Spanish made Heinkel bomber, a Gloster Javelin, a Blackburn Beverly and several others. I had to wonder how the Beverly could ever fly, it looked about as airworthy as a house brick. When the museum closed, many of the aircraft were broken up, the cockpit of the Beverly is now at Duxford.
                              Dave
                              Last edited by Daveb; 03-10-2016, 07:27 AM. Reason: error

Comment

Working...
                              X